Modernizing an old, deep white porcelain double sink in good shap

dreamojeanMarch 28, 2013

Any suggestions for whether and how to keep an old-line, heavy, white porcelain double sink, in great shape, that's one of those with a metal cover that slides across from one side to the other, and is particularly deep on the left side and less deep but still very adequate on the other, and is really heavy? It's resting on an older metal under-sink cabinet and I don't know if it's too heavy to rest on wooden cabinets or if we should keep the sink/metal cabinet unit and modernize around it - or just let the sink go. I am adding a kitchen back to a brownstone and want stainless steel appliances, probably cream or white cabinets and a modern decor that respects the traditional brownstone details and has a bit of a "country kitchen" aspect to it - in other words, eclectic, and on a budget. I love the old huge white sink but am not seeing how it will fit into this modern kitchen. One person suggested getting a higher end stainless steel faucet to modernize the sink. Any other suggestions? I'd love to hear from others who have figured out how to keep an antique and still end up with a nice design, or who have let the old sink go to make the design work better. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Pics?

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 4:59PM
dreamojean

Here is a pic of the sink

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 5:17PM
lazy_gardens

Nice sink. You could easily build a wooden cabinet to fit it, and keep the freestanding look of it.

If the cabinet is 3/4 plywood with appropriate framing around the top and in the corners, it can hold a lot more than that sink.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 7:46AM
dirt_cred

You should get a new sink and give that one to me. Just let me know when you toss it and I'll come get it.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:06PM
powermuffin

I think you could probably augment the structure of any sink cabinet that it would fit it just by beefing up the insides with plywood and 1x4s.
Diane

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:38PM
zagut

Nice sink.

A new faucet would modernize it nicely.

Then get a cabinet that fit's your design.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™