Does a pull button doorbell always connect to one of those butler

threeapplesMarch 26, 2013

style bells inside the house? I am building a new old house and love the charm of these, but wondered if the pull button requires a real bell mechanism inside or of it can activate a chime. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

Friends with a '20s Tudor had a pull-button that connected to a lever that pushed a door button about 8-10 up the wall -- so it appeared to be a pull-button, but was actually a standard doorbell with a fancy push apparatus.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:13AM
renovator8

Many pull buttons are just low voltage electrical switches that activate any low voltage electric bell or chime anywhere in the house. Mine is from 1891.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 6:23AM
KevinMP

Are you referring to something purely mechanical like mine, or something wired?

There's one for sale at the local salvage place for $150 with all of the components.

Here's the bell apparatus from the inside. The outside is a knob on the left side of the door frame (it's a Baldwin knob I reconfigured to re-use the original post, etc. inside but still be able to match the new door hardware, but it used to be either brass or bronze).

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 9:24PM
threeapples

Kevin, you have the coolest place.

I'd love something like what you've got, Kevin, for our back door, but a regular chime for the front. I'm wondering if I can get a chime activated by a pull-button apparatus instead of a push-button. Maybe that will be awkward for people though. What I really want is something that doesn't seem contemporary. Our exterior hardware is from Rocky Mountain Hardware in a brass-ish color, but made of bronze. It's not the most Georgian thing, but it works with our multipoint system. Anyway, I don't know if I should just get one of theirs, maybe a simple circle or rectangle, or try to find something really cool and historic looking.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Are colored appliances going to come back?
I hope so. I have a stainless steel stove (front only)...
concretenprimroses
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™