Shingled roof needs bigger slope

petoolaMarch 20, 2010

We have a mobile home with a 12 x 56 addition across the back. The addition roof spans about 20 feet from the peak to the end with a very small slope. My husband has been shoveling the roof every winter but it's a chore he'd like to be done with.

We'd like to put a metal roof on and make the slope much higher so the snow would come off. He's going to extend the new peak out over the peak that is there now, which would give the back the slope it needs. Would he have to take the shingled roof off first or could this be done over the shingled roof? Any tips or suggestions welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macybaby

The main thing is if the stucture can support two roofs, though the metal may be lighter than a shingled roof. Is there already a roof under the roof that spans the addition?

I have an old house, it has two roofs in most areas. They would extend a porch on one end and then just build another roof right over the top of the old one. I have "under roofs" that have two layers of ceder shakes and two layers of asphalt shingles.

If I ever did something like that, I would at least strip the under roof. It's been a real pain dealing with things in the attic because of it - but that is because I've been doing lots of stuff up there (running vents and such) that required cutting through the under roof.

BTW- for airflow you may need to cut holes in the under-roof near the top edge so the air will circulate.

Cathy

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™