Banquette plans

mvd80February 12, 2013

After thinking about it for a while, the wife and I decided to sell our kitchen table to replace with new table and a banquette bench. I've been looking at the pictures and plans that people have posted on here for a while. Also saw this on DIYnetwork.
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-build-a-banquette-storage-bench/index.html

I think the DIYnetwork plans look a little flimsy compared to framing it out with 2x4s. Can anyone provide any thoughts on that. Also any response with plans or pictures of how you built your banquette are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

If you search the old posts here (with google) there have been some good long banquette threads--this one has some detailed specs from Igloochic as well as KKelly's beloved morgue drawers:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0517485121309.html

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:54AM
corgimum

My banquette bench is sort of U-shaped (set in a bay window) and is not framed out with 2 x 4's. It was professsionally built by my cabinet maker using 3/4'' plywood.

Here is one that was built with 2x4's. I believe it is from GW but I don't know to whom it belongs.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:58AM
lawjedi

I just posted a bunch of pics of our banquette in progress. It's nearly done. Perhaps some of the progress pics will explain a step or 2.

I initially drew what I wanted out on graph paper with the sizes etc... and then when we actually started doing it, it was a constant re-adjustment for real life situation.

definitely angle the back. Much more comfortable.

we framed it out in 2x4's. VERY STURDY!!! (with 4 young kids, you've got to build it tough!)

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 12:39PM
islanddevil

lawjedi. Can you please give me the name of the thread with your banquette pics or post the link here so I can find it? Thanks.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:21PM
kfhl

I found some great information on building a banquette on finehomebuilding.com. Ours was built with a 2x4 base.
This is before final paint, but otherwise complete.

This post was edited by kfhl on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 10:51

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 9:23AM
mvd80

kfhl:
Like the look of yours. That's about what I'm going for. I found the finehomebuilding plans this morning, but I don't have a membership and don't want to purchase just yet.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 12:05PM
deardre

@island
Here you go, I was just looking at the post earlier.
Hope I linked correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost done & sharing banquette pics

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Bungalow galley kitchen layout
Hello GW'ers! I'm new to the forum and have been so...
motok1w
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
Kitchen/House Reveal - DIY with Scherr's RTA. Better late then never
I have been meaning to post here for years but I really...
toddimt
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™