Gap between stair tread/risers and skirt

PeoriaRenoMarch 12, 2011


My stairs have a gap between the skirt board and the treads and risers on one side. They are tight fitting at the bullnose of the steps but then as you get farther back to the riser there is a wedge-shaped gap. From below it appears that the skirt board has pulled away from the treads over time. The stairs are supported by two thick stringers, so I don't think this is a big structural issue as much as an aesthetic one. My plan of attack was to shim between the treads and stringers to ensure that they were well-supported. Then I can use a gap-filling compound to fill in the gap between the treads/risers and the skirt board. Originally I thought about trying to pull the skirt board back to be tight with the treads and risers but I am thinking that might be hard/impossible without major work. The treads are housed so I can't pull them up easily to fill the gaps.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to do this the best? I'll have to use stainable/paintable filler because I was planning on staining the treads and painting the risers white.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've never seen tread brackets used on the interior skirting of stairs, but I linked this picture of the tread brackets in case it is useful. Has anyonne seen tread brackets used where peoria is talking about? it would be handy for covering up those gaps, but I just can't wrap my head around using it there.

If you use stainable filler, tape the edges of any adjacent wood you want to stain, because any smudges of filler that get onto the wood will show, even after sanding, and it takes the stain differently than the surrounding wood. Also gel stain will blend the filler into the surrounding wood better than most other stains. It's a pain.

Here is a link that might be useful: tread brackets

    Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Peoria, I'm not quite picturing where your problem is--Slateberry's answer is totally different from what I was thinking. Could you clear things up?

You say the treads are housed--to me, that means that they fit into the stringer and trim board--your balusters do not rest on the tread, but on the side trim of the stairs in a straight diagonal line, like at the top of the railing.
I was picturing the gap as being visible from the top of the tread--that it didn't fit into the trim all the way from front to back--and I couldn't see how the front could fit on every step, but not the back of each?

If the treads are open (visible) on one side, with the balusters resting in pairs on each step, then the gap is zero at the front, but wider as you approach the front of the next step, so the gap runs horizontally? It would seem to me that if every step is that way, then they were either poorly done to begin with, or the outside trim was replaced at one time, and the cuts were off.

    Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 7:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
Original Heart of Pine Flooring - matching
Hello, I have a contract on a 1905 Edwardian row house....
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
Sponsored Products
WAC LEDme 5" Wide White LED Steplight
$54.00 | Lamps Plus
Hand Shower Bracket for Riser Pipe - Chrome
Signature Hardware
Clawfoot Tub Shower Conversion Kit
Signature Hardware
5 Lights Crystals Flush Mount with Treaded Silk Pattern
Camel Ellipse Stair Tread - Set of Four
$39.99 | zulily
Polished Chrome Two-Light Flush Mount
$169.10 | Bellacor
Caramel Vintage Gourmet Kitchen Cart
$499.99 | zulily
Allure Gold Stair Tread: 8 In. x 2 Ft. 4 In. Stair Tread Rug, Set of 13
$290.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™