Built-in Double Oven 1/2 Size...

fission7xFebruary 24, 2014

Folks,
Need some help. The oven in our house is a single built-in electric oven. I want to replace it with a double oven, but the wife does not want two full-sized ovens. I'm having trouble finding a double oven with two small sized ovens or 1 large and 1 small oven. (I'd actually prefer 1 large size and 1 smaller oven.) I've found ovens that have the large oven below with the microwave above, but she wants to be able to bake in the top oven also. I've seen free-standing stoves that have the setup I want, but not a built-in. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpg2004

GE makes a "single/double" 2 wall oven unit that fits into the space of a single wall oven.. They're the only ones who do so, I believe. Also, many people mount a speed cook oven (like the advantium) over a single wall oven to get something like 1 1/2 wall ovens. Good luck with your project!

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: GE single double

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 10:40AM
beautybutdebtfree

I'd pass on a new model like this GE single/double without a known track record because it has an electronic control board sandwiched between two ovens. These control boards are notorious for frying if they get too hot! And you are paying a premium price both for a new product and a unique size product, which may fail.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 10:50AM
carsonheim

This is the oven I'm putting in. It's great. Full size oven below, the half-size upper can either serve as a microwave OR oven. both have convection.

Here is a link that might be useful: my oven

1 Like    Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 11:19AM
cloud_swift

debtfree, the GE single/double isn't a new product. It's been around at least since 2008 (there are gardenweb posts from then on it). And it isn't a non-standard size. It's the same size as a single oven so worst case one could replace it with a single oven.

My son bought one at a scratch and dent price for his kitchen remodel.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 1:00PM
fission7x

Thanks for the great responses. I had no idea the smaller microwave upper ovens could be used for baking. Thanks again!

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Viatera Minuet
Hello! I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I'm...
cburky
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
How to view older (undamaged) Gardenweb threads in Google cache
I’m posting this to create a link to refer people...
mudhouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™