My first home

gamecock43March 16, 2009

I bought my first house about a month ago and want to be sure I am correct in it's architecture. Is this a craftsman? I think it is, but I thought craftsman were 1 story with an attic? Or are those specifically "Craftsman bungalows"? The house is from the 1920's but that's all I know about it. There are Victorians on our street and a few other 3 story square buildings like mine with a front porch.

Also...anyone have a recommendation on a good color to paint our front steps? I don't like the teal concrete look and need to get them repoured because they are very uneven. Should I leave it the natural concrete grey, or what other color would look nice? My hubby and I are thinking of repainting the front deck floorboards too...but don't know what color would look good either for the floorboards.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Now _that's_ a Foursquare. The detailing is a little craftsman-y. The leaded glass is more on the classic revival side. Nice house.
Casey

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 6:59PM
kpaquette

Very nice! Have you googled Foursquare to get ideas for the steps? If it were my house, I'd probably get rid of the handrail when you re-do the steps, since it was most certainly a later addition and doesn't go with the rest of the house. Maybe also have some masons by to get that paint off your brick. (if that's even possible. they got paint off our stone foundation while they were there repointing, but it was just blobs, not the whole thing. They use some sort of acid wash.)

I'd probably also tone the red down with burgundy instead. Then you could paint the steps burgundy as well.

Congratulations on your new home!

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 7:15PM
gamecock43

oh good idea doing Burgandy!! And now I will start looking at four squares online to learn more about them. The red handrail is going in the trash. Cant believe it's still up, I hate it but am so used to it I forgot it's still there! I will look into getting the paint off the brick, but that might be something we decide to keep as we have been doing a lot of interior work and are a bit poor right now.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 7:23PM
dab07

Egads, that teal paint is a terrible color for the steps! Great house, tho. I used to live in one just like it. Enjoy it!

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 7:34PM
calliope

I suspected foursquare, but didn't know for sure. It's a very nice home, looks so solid and substantial as many homes were in that era. Nice leaded glass in the windows and enough detail work to be really interesting.

Don't be too quick to yank out those handrails, unless you have something in mind to replace them with. I bought an investment house a few years back and my insurance company MADE ME put up handrails since there were more than three steps to the next level.

That teal paint? argh. Anything would be better than that.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 9:25PM
palimpsest

These houses often ended up with pipe handrails. The town that I grew up in...there are pictures of these houses with threaded pipe rails going back to when these houses were almost new. So it does have some precedent.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 5:56PM
calliope

My parent's home, built in the thirties has threaded pipe rails up the concrete steps of their hillside. I paint it black each spring and actually it looks, like you said, in era with the house and not at all out of place. It's been there almost eighty years and still is substantial and in good shape.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 8:49PM
jcin_los_angeles

Beautiful house! I would return to the natural concrete color, not keep it painted at all. Why have upkeep on something that shouldn't need it?

Craftsman houses come in all sizes, from 1 storey bungalows to huge 3 storeys.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 12:46AM
missouri1

Oh it's gorgeous!! I have a 4 square waiting for me a few states away. Mine has about 2880 sq feet on the two main floors combined and also has three dormers at the attic level. Seeing yours makes me so anxious to go play with it. We won't be moving for a year yet but plan to go there within the next month for a week or so. Mine isn't in as nice condition though.

Have you thought about a hardwood stained look for the porch or even tiles on the porch floor would look gorgeous on that house!

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™