Central Vac in an old house

young-gardenerMarch 6, 2011

Has anyone added central vac to their home? I'm wondering where you found room forthe unit since closets are at a premium in old homes. We have no basement. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjt78

Have you had a central vac before?

I'm sure it's all a matter of preference, but I used to clean houses and I only cleaned one with a central vac and I despised that thing. I would have much preferred to lug a regular vacuum all over the house.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 3:26PM
columbusguy1

If you have an attached garage, the unit could go there. I've not had one, but I think the piping is pvc--it could be run in chimney chases from floor to floor, or in a stud bay. If you have a crawlspace, the pipes could go there.
Personally, I wouldn't be fond of dragging 30' of hose behind me to vacuum. I'll stick with my 1958 Kirby, and my Royal 1940s hand vac for the stairs. :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 2:16AM
young-gardener

I currently use a canister vac, but I grew up with central vac. It was the "long hose" variety, but they now have ones that allow you to pull out just the amount you need from the wall. THe problem is that I have no garage for the main unit. The piping wouldn't be a problem really because we're reworking our walls soon and could rough it in then, but I need somewhere to put the motor/filter combo. Our house is small, so two outlets would be plenty.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 7:56AM
columbusguy1

The only option I see then, is to place it in a centrally located closet. You will lose space, but it seems you really want one.
If the house is really that small, I don't see the need, unless there is a physical liability which makes a central vac an easier option. Modern vacuums are much lighter now and would probably take up less space than a central unit.

Just occurred to me--if you think a central vac doesn't need to be emptied, you are wrong. :) I'd think it would be a bigger task than a regular vacuum since the container is so much larger.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 5:54PM
slateberry

When (if) my miele dies I'm getting a backpack hepa unit. I've never used central vac but I imagine backpack would be nearly as convenient, and take up much less space. There's reason all the pro cleaners use backpack vacs.

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
alexia10
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
monica_thompson
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Sponsored Products
Savoy House Wakefield Traditional Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Juno 6" Recessed CFL ENERGY STAR Fluorescent Housing
$86.99 | Lamps Plus
Garden Gnome Reading Book with Toad House - WAC264
$31.98 | Hayneedle
Hinkley Lighting | Casa 3503 Chandelier
$299.00 | YLighting
Holtkoetter | G-B10 Glass
$622.00 | YLighting