How can I make salted toasted almonds?

laceyvailSeptember 29, 2012

I recently found several luscious sounding recipes that call for this. I've never seen it for sale around here. Surely there's a way to make salted toasted almonds at home.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnliu_gw

Toss almonds in oil, then in salt, toast in oven or I'd use a toaster oven. But I'd be surprised if they weren't sold there, in the snack aisle.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 8:02AM
grainlady_ks

Although the oil and salt method works well, you don't necessarily need the extra oil. BUT, without oil you have to wait and add the salt when they are hot out of the oven. Added oil essentially holds the salt onto the almonds.

Place a pound of raw almonds onto a rimmed sheet pan or cake pan (single layer of almonds) and bake in a 350-degree F oven for 10-15 minutes (stir once during baking time). Salt when they come out of the oven. The natural oil in almonds will help hold the salt when they are hot out of the oven.

I've included a link to a third method which includes soaking the almonds overnight in lightly-salted water. This method causes the almonds to begin sprouting which results in almonds that are easier to digest and have more available nutrition in them. This is the method I generally use.

Always nice to have choices....

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Soak & Roast Almonds

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 8:31AM
lbpod

Does the recipe call for 'whole' almonds?
or 'slivered'? I'm wondering how one would
sliver them at home, other than a mandolin,
but that would be messy. But the slivered
almonds would be salted and roasted as
described above, but shouldn't take very
long. Would you share those 'luscious'
recipes?

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 2:45PM
laceyvail

I just spent over 1/2 hour typing in these two very elaborate and detailed recipes, and the damn site lost it. I'll try to get to it again some time but, at this point, I'm not making any promises.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 12:27PM
publickman

Lacey, better to type the message in a Word document and then paste it here. However, if you use Firefox, it will often save what you have typed - just use the "undo" button. IE won't save anything.

I generally buy roasted almonds at Trader Joe's, but I've also made a version that uses soy or tamari sauce. Smoked almonds are my favorite, but I haven't made those either, although I do have a smoker now.

Lars

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 12:40PM
dcarch7

You can use a coffee grinder to turn salt into a fine powder, then in a jar shake the salt powder with toasted almonds vigorously.

dcarch

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
Costa Rican food ... and adventure
Forget what you have heard about food in Costa Rica...
publickman
Another OT Seattle
I'm watching a series on Netflix called the killing...
Islay Corbel
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
I scrub my potatoes clean. Do you?
My SIL was her visiting over the holidays, sharing...
momto4kids
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™