MAJOR basement purge!

mommabirdJanuary 18, 2014

After 21 years in the same house, I am finally finishing the front half of the basement into a rec room/TV room. I am so excited I can barely sleep at night!

The most exciting part is that I had to get rid of tons of junk in order to be able to do it. I've posted over 100 items to FreeCycle & had them picked up. I donated 20 large lawn/leaf bags of stuff to the Volunteers of American thrift store. I called city trask Bulk Pickup & had a mountain of stuff that was just trash. The "pickers" took about half before the city trash came.

It has been so freeing to release this J-U-N-K! I feel 50 lbs lighter (even if I don't look it!). I've extended the purge to the rest of the house, and taken another carload of stuff to Volunteers plus continue to post things to Freecycle three or four times a week.

I got rid of my 20 year old ski equipment, and treated myself to new skis for Christmas. I got rid of all skis & boots my boys have outgrown. I also got rid of sports equipment they have outgrown or for sports they have given up. I got rid of gadgets that seemed like a good idea but never really worked - like the Shark steamer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Good for you!!!

I did that when I was selling a house once. It makes you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

We had a garage sale where we sold some things, but in addition we lined up stuff all along the edge of the driveway. I put signs that said "Yes, really, it's free. Take it!"

I also did the freecycle thing. I had a long list of things and had people tell me which they wanted. It was liberating.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 10:03AM
susanjn

mommabird, I've followed your saga for years now. You are inspiring, and I'm happy for you.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:11PM
talley_sue_nyc

hooray!!

Isn't it amazing how that stuff can accumulate? I know you had extra stuff in your house, more than most of us, but the stuff you listed is stuff I'd have ended up just "not having gotten around to" getting rid of.

Good for you!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
Why I look in the box before tossing
One of the boxes I recently sorted through was marked...
talley_sue_nyc
Cleaning Service--what do you have them do?
I enjoy reading this forum and now understand the difference...
bstnjohn
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™