How to prime/paint problem walls

kashka_katMarch 7, 2013

Hello all, have a question about priming/painting problem surfaces - didnt get a huge response over on paint forum so I thought I would post here - it is old house specific. The problem surfaces in question are: calcimine, old oil paint over plaster (I think this is the first layer as it didn't wash off like the calcimine does), new plaster (repairs) some drywall patches with skim coat. And maybe about half of my walls are just the usual modern latex. All of these surfaces are in my house! Do I need multiple primers or what? I noticed that some of the painting I did a few years back over the oldest layers (oil and/or calcimine) are now starting to peel. THANKS in advance to any and all input.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/paint/msg0310401912856.html?3

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
columbusguy1

Check out this site--glad I don't have any...so far as I know!

Here is a link that might be useful: Covering Calcimine Paint

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 5:49PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

The calcimine needs to be removed. You MIGHT be able to find an old product from Ben Moore that was used for this .I don't remember what it was called though. Gardz MIGHT work on it. Otherwise, as I said, Zinnsers Cover Stain will cover all else

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 5:51PM
PRO

That article is OK as far as it goes but this,"calcimine-covering paint.", is the whole problem. As far as I know there is no such thing

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 5:55PM
function_first

I had problems with getting paint to adhere to a calcimine coated bathroom ceiling, but the paint would fail almost immediately, not years later as you state yours has, so I wonder whether your issue is the same. There was a simple test to see if it's calcimine, because it rubs off on your wet finger (chalky appearance). That's definitely what ours was, I followed (exactly followed) the instructions for a paint/cover agent that was specifically intended for covering calcimine -- I believe it was called Kal-kote. It's worked like a charm, paint has been up there for 5+ years and still looks great.

This post was edited by kris_ma on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 8:47

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 8:45AM
kashka_kat

Water and a scrubbie dissolves it - so thats why I think the second layer (green) was calcimine and the first layer (brown) may have been an oil base paint - that doesnt seem to wash off. But just wiping a wet finger over doesnt do much - its not real chalky.

Actually some of the worst peeling seems to be happening with the very first brown original layer which I think is oil AND with that dang soft Easysand that I used extensively for some of my earlier plaster repairs - talk about chalky, it comes off just wiping a dry finger over it.

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions!

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 12:57PM
chucksmom

I have a canister steam cleaner. I used it on my calcimine walls to loosen it up and was able to scrape/scrub it off. Wall looks great now and no peeling paint. Not fun and sooner or later I need to address my kitchen. It's wallpapered now and the paper stuck but I know it's a calcimine mess underneath!

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 8:08AM
brickeyee

"Easysand that I used extensively for some of my earlier plaster repairs - talk about chalky, it comes off just wiping a dry finger over it. "

Sounds more like premix.

It remains soluble in water basically forever.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 12:56PM
kashka_kat

Brick, what is premix? I used easy sand 90 for the top coat of my earlier repairs - it's possible I grabbed a bag of something else by mistake.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:23PM
karinl

I have no experience with calcimine but I've just discovered liner paper (commented more extensively on the ceilings thread) which you can apparently both paint and paper over.

Karin L

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:47PM
PRO

You still need to deal with the calcimine before installing the lining paper

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™