Need To Identify Type of Brick?

eldemilaMarch 17, 2011

I need some briks replaced on a front porch and side steps in a home we recently bought but have NO idea what these bricks are called/considered. They have indented lines in them.

Can anyone identify them so I can all around and see who may have them with more information that "they're a brick red!"


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's called rug brick; the clay was scratched with steel points before being baked.

It was popular in our area in the 1940s and I haven't seen it on homes built since then.

If you're trying to match it, see local brick suppliers with a sample.

    Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 1:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Worthy, thank you soooo much for chiming in with that information! The house was built around 1967/1968
With your information, I was able to go on line and find the info on the rug brick. When I called a local brick company they hadn't heard about "rug brick" but when I described it to the lady she told me they called it Vertex or Ver Tex, and it's a smooth and scratched brick.

Thanks again for helping solve my mystery!!!

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ver Tex Brick

    Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 8:14PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
Sponsored Products
Maria Theresa Chrome Twenty-Four Light 36-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden
Korver Sleeper Sofa - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Bulbrite Dimmable MR16 Halogen Gu5.3 Base Light Bulb - 20 pk. - BULB654
$99.80 | Hayneedle
Arteriors Home - Barrett Table Lamp - 44297-975
Great Furniture Deal
'Beach Chairs' Canvas Wall Art
P8025 Counter Weight Chandelier by George Kovacs
$354.00 | Lumens
OttLite Lamps 14 in. Contemporary Pink And White Desk Lamp F48218
$30.30 | Home Depot
Metal Lamp: 27 in. 1-Light Gun Table Lamp CLI-LS446392
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™