Pioneer Millworks Flooring (xpost)

kerrygwMarch 23, 2009

Has anyone used Pioneer Millworks for flooring? We are looking at their antique heart pine for the house we're renovating and I'd love to hear experiences. Xposting with Flooring, just in case - thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Doesn't look you got a response in either, so I'll chime in with some general info. I have no experience with Pioneer Millworks (I'm in NC) but I just refinished our original heart pine floors and had to have so repair work done.

Before you buy any wood, I would strongly suggest you visit the company and get a first hand look at the product. They do not commercially harvest heart pine anymore do to the incredible amount of time it takes for the trees to grow and create that quality of wood. That means everything you buy now is either salvaged from an old building or reclaimed from sunken logs. Since it is all coming from old sources, there is a huge variation not only in the standard aspects of wood - graining, cut, knotting etc. but also in manmade blemishes like nail holes. They sort and grade the lumber accordingly and there is usually a pretty large price gap between clear, quarter sawn, nail free boards and those with more "character".

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 11:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kerrygw

Thanks Bill. I won't be able to visit any of the companies we are considering in person (hours and hours, if not several states, away from where we are) but I'm getting samples, and thankfully their spec sheets are VERY detailed on things like the differences between the grades. It's always nice to hear from someone who has dealt with the company before though, ya know? :-)

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™