How do you organize/ store jewelry?

jea2007January 28, 2012

I have a bunch of "cheap" jewelry, necklaces of various lenghts, earrings, bracelettes and such. How do you store or organize these.

I like to be able to "see" what my choices are without too much digging. I don't necessarily want to have it on display and I really only have a bathroom vanity drawer that I could spare for such storage.

It is currently in a jewelry box that is about 12 inches high or so, some hang on the side behind doors. I am thinking of getting rid of the surface that it sits on, so am wondering about other options.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

Cheap or not, I would NOT store jewelry in the bathroom... too much humidity.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 2:39PM
marti8a

I use one of these. But I am very limited on space.

If I had the room, I'd get one of those jewelry cabinets.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 6:00PM
ratherbesewing

Earings-I use a craft bead organizer.It has small compartments and I probably place 2 pair in each compartment. Necklaces-I hung a bulletin board in my closet and hang them from push pins.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 6:38PM
hayden2

For rings and earrings, I use old fashioned ice cube trays.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 8:38PM
vidyap7

I put my sets (necklace + earrings) of everyday jewellery in the medicine cups that come free with liquid medicines. I then store them in a drawer. That way i can see what's available and I can easily pick the entire set. I have plenty of these medicine cups with my kids' medicines, so this was one way of recycling them :)

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 2:14PM
annac54

For "cheap" or costume jewelery I use clear covered bead/craft/fishing tackle boxes for earrings. You can put usually 2 pair per compartment. I have mine organized loosely by color.

Bracelets are in small see-through boxes with drawers. Necklaces are hung on a closet wall on a multi-hook clothes rack.

The good stuff is in boxes lines with silver protective lining that have clear covers so I can see what's in them. I bought them online.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 3:33PM
jessiegray

Pinterest has a ton of cheap do it yourself jewelry storage ideas (like using a paper towel holder for bangles) but personally I still prefer the wall mount jewelry boxes or the ones that hang on the back of the door. It swings open like a door and has tons of places to store different items. Then closed it has a mirror for getting dressed. Perfect addition to any closet. Size is usually 36" high x 18" wide and 3" deep, but they have smaller ones too. HSN, QVC and a few local dept stores carry them.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 12:38PM
Barbnvabeach

I use a window screen hung by cup hooks inside my closet for earrings (pierced) and I can easily see everything. The clip ones I use the plastic craft bead boxes as well.
Necklaces I hang in the closet from large cup hooks. Of course I also use several jewelry boxes.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 9:20PM
talley_sue_nyc

I use the same clear plastic pockets that marit8a uses. I really like it.

I especially like that it hangs in the closet with my clothes and doesn't need dresser-top space.

Mine has different sizes of pockets, which is really handy. Nothing gets tangled, and I can see everything.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 1:26AM
bulldinkie

IO have a plastic organizer bag thingy,I also have a jewelry cabinet,It does help theyre not too high in price.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 10:23PM
emma

I have a walk in closet that has one long blank wall, no shelving or anything. I bought the strips of wood with hooks on them and hang my necklaces on it. I hang them by color and can get several on one hook. I have a lot costume jewelry. I have some better pieces stored in the hanger with pockets shown in the picture of another reply. I put a t shirt over it and then a long sleeved man's shirt over the t shirt to hide it. I have earrings on a stand that sits on my bathroom vanity and rings in a drawer in the bedroom.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 6:22AM
More Discussions
Cleaning Service--what do you have them do?
I enjoy reading this forum and now understand the difference...
bstnjohn
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
The ultimate organizer
Two words: WORKSHOP PEGBOARD !!!!!! :)
lazy_gardens
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™