Anyone had a house raised?

karinlMarch 9, 2011

Our 1905 Victorian house has a 6.5 foot high basement which is just enough to make it bearable to be down there, not enough to avoid having to duck under ducts. The neighbourhood we live in has many houses of similar age and many are being raised.

I'm curious whether people on this forum have had this done or enquired into it, and if so what it was like, what it cost, what it entailed, was it worth it, etc? Any unexpected outcomes, good or bad?

It could be happening here because house prices are so high that having a nice mortgage helper is almost essential - Vancouver is becoming technically a city of duplexes. I'm not sure we want to go this route (and DH doesn't!) but I am curious what it is like to have it done.

KarinL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
civ_IV_fan

i have never done this but worked in a town where this was being done. super-shallow (think 2-3 feet) rubble foundations were typical. some folks put a new basement under their +- 1500 square foot house. it worked wonderfully and doors closed that hadn't closed in years. the cost was about $100,000.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 10:52AM
worthy

If you have a rubble foundation wall, fugettaboudit! If it's blocks, there are two common approaches depending on how much further down you are going. You can use a "bench" around the existing walls, or underpin a section at a time . You shouldn't be paying anywhere close to $100k.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 12:04PM
powermuffin

My neighbor has a twin of our house, circa 1908, and he dug out the crawl space, after bracing the house with huge beams, and now has a (full) 9' finished basement. He did most of the work himself, and he did a great job. He had a structural engineer advise him all through it. It cost him about $25,000 in materials and a bit of labor that he contracted out. Our foundations are stacked stone.
Diane

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 2:11PM
karinl

Wow, stacked stone and rubble... makes me think our foundation may have been redone at some point as it is concrete, perhaps by the process you describe, Worthy.

Interesting point that one can go down as well as lift up. As one end of our basement is walk-out I think it would be logical to lift and retain that. I look at some of the houses being done locally, though, that are underground all around, and see they are having to do extensive drainage work to keep the space dry.

Encouraging that doorways etc may even become more square - I was wondering if windows or walls would be at risk of cracking. Stupid of us to do so much interior work before even considering this, but I don't think we could have coped with that magnitude of project from the outset - although we ended up doing a full gutting, wiring, plumbing, new kitchen, new stairs, we nibbled our way into it and didn't have either the experience or the energy to make a big plan in advance. Oh, the benefits of hindsight!

I guess one would also have to empty the house and move out.

KarinL

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
alexia10
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
This old house plus church!!
Well I need someone to talk with about my latest plunge....
Jason J
Sponsored Products
Lightolier Glass Cylinder White Track Head
$95.95 | Lamps Plus
Design House 515577 Ironwood 2-Light ENERGY STAR Pendant - Satin Nickel Finish M
$187.99 | Hayneedle
nuLOOM Modern Chevron Cream Faux Silk Rug (9' x 12'7)
Overstock.com
Hathaway Oiled Bronze Ceiling Fan with 56-Inch Custom Carved Traditional Mahogan
$630.00 | Bellacor
King Floral Brocade Duvet Cover 119" x 100" - CHAMPAGNE (100"L X 119"W)
$1,750.00 | Horchow
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Candice Olson Black 9 ft. x 13 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™