Helping others declutter

graywings123January 17, 2014

Does helping other people declutter make you go home and declutter your own stuff? That's the experience I had recently. I helped a friend clear out some stuff at her mother's house. I went home and went through my closet and got rid of six pairs of shoes that should have been trashed long ago.

And I also noticed it was quick, easy and painless to declutter someone else's stuff. There was little second-guessing of my decisions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tripletmom83

Yes, and seeing a house that is really cluttered or messy makes me want to go home and declutter or clean, too.
I also notice how much easier it is to tell other people what to get rid of. When it's my own stuff, I need to keep repeating my mantra, "NO SENTIMENTAL ATTACHMENT TO INANIMATE OBJECTS!!!"
I don't have that problem with my friend's junk.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 7:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

It's a lot easier when you don't have that emotional attachment.

I'm not motivated to do much decluttering right now. I have improved in that I now I've started thinking in terms of "Is this going to leave a mess in my house if I buy it?" Maybe it's because I'm reaching a point of saturation in things that I need and realizing that I don't have the time or energy to manage all of the junk. I have really cut back on what I bring into the house.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Loved This Book!
I just (quickly!) read "The Life-Changing Magic...
Merrygardener
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
Cleaning Service--what do you have them do?
I enjoy reading this forum and now understand the difference...
bstnjohn
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
The ultimate organizer
Two words: WORKSHOP PEGBOARD !!!!!! :)
lazy_gardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™