help!! window restoration quote, are you for real????
So, I thought I had talked my husband out of removing our pretty old original windows and installing sash kits. After research on this site, I decided restore/storms was the only way I could go with a good conscience. ;-) But then we got the quote. :-(
I called Heritage Restoration in Providence, RI. (house is in Newport.) The are supposedly top notch, so I'm not worried about the quality of work. But seriously??? For $550 a window, they propose:
"Partial Sash Repairs"
All work will be performed on-site and will consist of the following:
* Remove upper and lower sash
* Mill sash to accept weather stripping
* Spot glaze missing or loose glaze
* Removal of broken panes of glass and replace with historic glass
* Removal of existing pinch locks and filling holes
* Install new spring bolts, upper sash will have one for locking purposes and lower sash will
have two installed
* Installation of all new interlocking weather stripping on jambs, sills, and meeting rails. (See
Weather Stripping Detail on next page)
* Drill holes in weather stripping at jamb in three positions (closed/locked, half open, full
* Reinstall sash to operate and function properly
For real??? The labor rates are $50/hr. How much can the materials possibly be? (I know the glass is expensive, but we are talking about a few panes.) And they aren't even totally reglazing!!! Are there $75 worth of materials per window??? So NINE HOURS of labor for each window? No Way.
Husband is going to call and talk to this guy. Because that just seems WAY off. Can someone give insight - and recommend other window restorers that will come to Newport?? I'm having a hard time finding someone.