Tin Wainscotting in a 1913 Dining Room

CassandraMarch 20, 2008

I recently moved into a 1913 home with pressed tin wainscotting that goes about 3/4s up the wall in the dining room, ending with a chair rail. The room has other great architectural features in that "transitional" style between Victorian and Arts-and-Crafts: a built in buffet, stained glass windows, and dentil crown molding. (I have posted pictures in a thread on the Home Decorating forum). I'm trying to do some research on the use of tin for wainscotting. My question has to do with whether it was originally painted or not. Right now, it is painted white and seems to have at least one coat of another color (green) underneath. I'll be painting the wall above the wainscotting a goldish color, but I don't know how to highlight the wainscotting or what else to do with it besides leave it white. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Decorative tin was a 19th century mass-produced simulation of more expensive decorative plaster. Considering that origin, it is very appropriate to paint it. Some of the marketing at the time was aimed at convincing people to install it over aging plaster ceilings, walls and stairwells for its cleanliness and architectural interest. In some cases, they are conducive to being antiqued/glazed to highlight the contours of the design.
Casey

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 12:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kennebunker

The tin ceilings were meant to be painted, they usually came primed with a white matte finish. The wainscot was quite likely the same.

http://victoriandecorating.blogspot.com/

http://earlytwentiethcenturyhomes.blogspot.com/

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
This old house plus church!!
Well I need someone to talk with about my latest plunge....
Jason J
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™