help needed with old closet door thumb turn latches....

melissastarFebruary 20, 2010

My old house has thumb turn latches on every closet and large cupboard door...most of them in disrepair, some of them missing and some replaced with what looks like more modern versions, in bright lacquered brass. I'd like to replace the bright ones with antique brass (or at least unlacquered brass) and replace or fix the old ones.

Problem is, I can't seem to find them anywhere in the person or online. The thumb turn is oval and has a spline spindle (star shaped). It turns a simple tube mortised inside the metal casing on either the door or the jamb side...a hole is simply hollowed out for the tube to slide through.

I have found on line something that LOOKS like it's the right British hardware sites. Called a thumb turn to operate a "rack " bolt. But the pictures I see of rack bolts are much more serious locks than the metal tube and hole operation I've got. And...I still can't seem to find them in anything but polished brass or chrome.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As you didn't post pictures, are either of these what you are looking for? I know the finish isn't the same as what you said you need, but with the might be a start.

The Vandyke's link below is another stab at it.

You could also check at salvage stores....

Here is a link that might be useful: Baldwin or Vandykes

    Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 11:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can easily strip the lacquer from bright brass and tincture of time will rather quickly give the 'old brass' look.

    Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 11:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Is it similar to this (link)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Turn Bolt (ebay)

    Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 12:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Try contacting Jim at Classic Home Design in Canton CT. He is a plan designer and also runs a fairly sizable second business dealing in antique hardware. Best of luck

    Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 9:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I happen to be fortunate enough to live in Rejuvenation's home town, so I'm familiar with most of the things they offer...and it sounds like this is what you are looking for:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation - Large Oval Cupboard Latch

    Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 1:39PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™