Help needed with bifold or sliding doors

andybpFebruary 9, 2009

We are adding a closet to one of the bedrooms in our 1873 Victorian. We need to use either sliding or bifold doors but are having a difficult time finding any that don't look out of place.

Does anyone know a resource we can pursue?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Well I can tell you it's highly unlikely that you'll find (or even want) sliding doors - I doubt very much there was any such thing back then. However, I don't see why you can't get someone to do bifolds for you, using strong hinges and not-overly-heavy wood. I think the Victorian's might have had some form of them at the time. Have you considered curtains (something heavy, that slides on a nice wood rod and has weighted corners at the bottom to hold the shape of the fabric? How about a roll-up/drop down shade type of thing?

    Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 5:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Check out Trustile Doors. They have many panel configurations. They are not inexpensive but they may be what you are looking for.

Or you could just do flush doors and apply some panel moulding on them

    Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 6:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I would caution against bifold if your doors will be very wide. We just replaced a pair of bifold door with sliding after the befold doors fell loose from their hinges for the umpteenth time, and I got tired of paying for their restoration,and worried that someone might get hurt.

I think you can "dress up" sliding doors so their appearance is in keeping with the Victorian theme you want to keep. Just remember that, in those days built-in closets were very rare. People used wardrobes or armoires to store the few clothes they had.

    Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 8:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

MDF doors can be used as sliders and routed to any pattern you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: doors

    Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 8:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you don't want to go a custom route (it can get quite pricey) you should check out the homedepot website. They have a lot more options than they stock in stores. They have several bifolds in a "victorian" style.

Also, I would try looking for doors with narrow panels and have either a small door opening or a set of bifolds on each side. The long, tall panels seems to give a more elegant, less utilitarian feel.

    Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 11:12AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™