Desk -like object for master bedroom

gwentJanuary 7, 2008

I need ideas for a piece of furniture that acts like a desk except I won't sit at it! In new bedroom I have a 4' x4' inside corner next to big window where I need a file drawer, some display and book shelves etc. A cross between a desk, hutch and corner bookcase. Does such a piece of furniture exist? Ikea? GC can also build something into this corner. I don't want it to look too office like as it's in the bedroom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
western_pa_luann

DH just ordered this piece (link below) for his office - except we got the book area at the bottom with a door on it (that is where he will file his papers.).

The center top section drops down... it has work surface and cubbies for stuff.

Maybe that could work???

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvey Ellis fall front desk

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 9:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

what about a "secretary" as inspiraiton?

The left section was display, but could be bookcase, or a combo of the two.

The right section had a desk area, w/ drop-down writing surface, and a compartment below, which could be a file drawer.

is the design I always think of when I hear the word "secretary" (in terms of furniture).

But there are others, like this one, that weren't divided in two vertically. This one has lots of shallow drawers but could have file drawers instead. And of course if GC is going to make it, it could be as deep as you needed, to accommodate files. And you might consider making it a bit taller; I know I always think those secretaries are a bit squatter than I'd personally like (though they often had a mirror, which was designed to be a face height for a woman.

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
Best life lesson I ever learned
Best life lesson I ever learned was at 25 years old...
swissmissmama
Useful article on closets from TOH
I'm impressed with this article from This Old House,...
violetwest
Getting rid of part of an item- WWYD
Okay, here's the question: I have a larger, aluminum...
quasifish
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™