X post - replacing windows

blackcats13February 25, 2009

I posted in remodeling, but that one doesn't seem to get the same traffic as we do here. Don't worry, these are the crappy vinyl ones I'm talking about, not wood.

We have a large picture window in the front of our house that overlooks the oh so picturesque street and lets in absolutely no breeze. Is it a big deal to have it replaced with multiple double hung? Do I just call the window company and say I want such and such?

Also, They are about half the height of the neighbors' windows (previous owner enclosed the front porch and made the windows smaller for some reason). Does the window replacement company make a bigger opening if I want bigger windows, or do I have to call someone else for that? Other then the additional cost for bigger windows, does that add significantly to the project cost? We have some kind of composite siding from ... the 70s? There could be clapboard under it, but I don't know. I wrote that yesterday, but today I realized that since that's the "new" wall from the enclosed porch there definitely isn't original siding under that.

Although this seems cosmetic, it's pretty high on our priority list. We don't have AC and because of the front windows we don't get enough breeze coming in.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mom2lilenj

So the picture window is in the enclosed porch "new" wall? If so the framing would probably have to be redone to make the windows taller. There are also double or triple window units you might be able to use which won't require framing in between the windows. With it being an enclosed porch, you may or may not need to worry about a large header depending on how the support for the wall was done. Some window companies also do installation, but they are often expensive. You could call up a contractor and see about their pricing. They can sometimes get windows at a discount partially offsetting the cost of construction. And can take care of permit issues too.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 12:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blackcats13

Thanks Mom2lilenj! I'm really looking forward to this project and this will help me get started. A summer without a good breeze through the house would be so sad!

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Extruded Mortar
I have an older home built in the 1950`s which has...
calgaryhhr
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
civ_IV_fan
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
where to find? brass window-stop grommets?
I'm finally re-doing each window. (1911 colonial revival-...
huckflinn
Sponsored Products
Burnished Outdoor 22 Inch Wall Light -Burnished Rust
$169.10 | Bellacor
Each 48"W x 96"L Rod-Pocket Curtain
$360.00 | Horchow
Cordless Honeycomb White Cellular Window Shade
Overstock.com
Bali Vinyl Vertical Blinds: Parisian
Blindsgalore
Blanc White French Linen Curtain Panel
Overstock.com