Opinions? Window casing flush w/ jamb or a reveal?

la_koalaFebruary 27, 2011

Hi all,

We're renovating the kitchen in our 1890 Queen Anne. In the reno, we're replacing a single double-hung window with a mulled two-unit double-hungs--to maximize the view on that side.

My question is about the "reveal" point where the side casing comes over the new side jamb (where there's a part of the jamb showing past the casing edge). Is there a rule of thumb about this distance?

I mean, we'll be using Marvin Ultimate Double Hungs, which don't have the stops that the current window has. With the current window, it seems like the casing covers the side jamb to be flush with the jamb, and then the stop is another 1/4 inch, and that covers part of the sash.

With the new window, from the Marvin drawings, it looks like the sash is flush with the jamb. If I make the casing also flush with the jamb edge, will that look weird?

The architect has specified a 1/4 inch reveal, where the jamb shows by 1/4 inch. But I'm wondering if that will look weird also, because it really doesn't look the same as the old stop.

There are no other windows in the same room to have to match. The casing will be about 4 inch wide, if that matters.

It's these little details that tend to drive me bonkers! And the architect cannot articulate why he recommends what he does. GardenWeb, you're my only hope!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sacto_diane

My original double hung windows have about a 3/16 reveal. I don't think you want it flush. Some sort of reveal will look better but without the stop molding, it's not going to look the same anyway so do what you think looks best.

Diane

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 7:59PM
sombreuil_mongrel

IMO 1/4" is too broad; On modern work I use 3/16" and on my own old house it was 1/8", and some instances, zero, where the bead stop came right up to the casing, making it an extension of it. Some of my window frames are much deeper, and those have the 1/8" reveal, along with all the door casing.
If you're caulking the joint for paint, 3/16" is great, 1/8" sort of shy.
Casey

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 11:03AM
la_koala

Hey, thanks Diane for weighing in that it will look better with some sort of reveal than having it flush. I don't have much of an instinct for the aesthetics--other than I know what I like when I actually see it! So I really appreciate it when someone can speak to that.

Thanks Casey for posting about your experience with the different widths. Oh, and that's a great point about caulking! I never would have thought ahead like that. I've caulked the cracks in my dining room, and I can see why you say 1/8" would be shy.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
barbcollins
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™