Knob and Tube Wiring
I keep reading mixed reviews on K&T wiring. One, that it is unsafe, causes fires, and needs to be ripped out immediately. Other say it is safe if not overloaded; leave it alone and add new circuits.
The house I am about to purchase, the sellers disclosure said all outlets were grounded and K&T had been removed. However, my inspector found live knob and tube. I asked the seller to remove it. Now they are telling me it can't be 'covered.' I don't want it covered; I wanted it removed like they said it had been removed.
Anyway, with basement and attic access, rewiring shouldn't be a huge mess? I don't want to rip out the plaster walls. I would think that if K&T were disconnected from the electric source, it could be left in place?