Window crossheads

SharimacFebruary 6, 2013

Has anyone seen this style of window crossheads before? First floor window is not original, there was once a bay window. It may help pin-point a builder, architect, something that can help me find original floorplans. This is an 1885 Italianate in Eastern Kansas.

From [House](
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I vaguely remember something like it in Gothic-inspired drawings in Andrew Jackson Downing's books...odd on an Italianate house...and to see two of them on the left window!

    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 12:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It is really odd. All the double windows have a double steeple crosshead, except that first floor window, it would never have had a crosshead originally as it was a bay. I thought maybe it might be a builders trademark or something.
This is a neat sketch a local artist did of our house.

From [House](
    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 8:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The right term for the window toppers would be architrave or window hood. Italianates are noted for their heavy window hoods that extend down the side casings for some distance. Since your house has lighter details, architrave is the best term.

The bay roof treatment in the cute sketch would be called a cornice, because it is a discrete structure, not an applied trim.
Casey, stickler for terminology.

    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Casey, I appreciate you pointing out the correct terminology! I really didn't know how to identify the window hood since it is part of the overall window trim, not a separate piece. This will at least make my search more specific.

    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here is a sketch I found in the David Rumsey historical map collection. It is the residence of Orson Kent, the home is in Burlington, same as mine. It has similar window hoods, however, they look to be separate from the horizontal window trim, almost like a pediment. Mine are not like that, but obviously the shape is similar. Doing a search on Orson Kent did not pull up any info on who built his Burlington residence, but interestingly, while I was at the register of deeds office researching my house, the land was purchased from Orson Kent just before construction began.

From [House](
    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 10:51AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™