Floor structure is in question

oldhousetimeFebruary 1, 2010

Well, I am in a dilemma. Bought an old House, 1905, gutted the 2nd floor bathroom and would like to put a cast Iron tub in. The tub with water will weight about 500lbs. When ripping out the bathroom, the subfloor , which was diagonally placed 2 x 6s that went from one room to the other, have been taken out. The floor joists have large holes from old plumbing plus holes for new plumbing. I am worried that the diagonal subfloor boards did more then act as just sub flooring, but distributed weight to a larger surface making less load in the bathroom...

Can I sister the joists and call it a day or should I think about something more invasive.

This problem has been keeping us from moving forward.

Thank you in advance.

J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

This sounds familiar

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 9:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Sistered joists will restore the integrity of the structure. Modern plywood will give adequate support for a tub. BTW, the time to easily do this was before the plumbing. It is sometimes challenging to fit pipes through boards. It is generally impossible to fit boards around pipes.

Just a note on joists - the old growth lumber was stronger than what you will fine at Home Depot. If you are going to use new lumber, make sure your joists are spaced properly by modern standards.

Bookmark   February 2, 2010 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™