Holiday Baking....

LoriNovember 18, 2001

Let's share our recipes for Holiday baking we can freeze ahead of time.My two favorite loafs to bake and get into the freezer are: Lemon loaf & Gum-drop cake. I'm writing this post without the recipe in-front of me but will go get it for next time if anyone is interested. Hope we here from lotsof people and get different holiday baking ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dances_in_garden

I make different quick breads all year and throw them in the freezer to have on hand. Banana bread, zuchini, applesauce, orange cranberry, blueberry, etc. They freeze well, and are easy to bring as gifts if you want.

I adapted a Susan Powter/Mom, I'm hungry recipe. It is very low fat, and I add or sub ingredients to get the flavour I want. I also don't have the recipe in front of me, but e-mail me if you want it!

As far as cookies, we bake a lot to give away, but never put any away for ourselves, LOL.

Bookmark   November 19, 2001 at 2:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dances_in_garden

I had some requests for the recipes, so here it is!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a non-stick loaf pan with cooking spray*.

Combine in a bowl:

1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dash salt
2 tsp ground allspice*
Combine in the mixer:

3 ripe bananas, chopped or mashed*
2/3 cups brown sugar
1 tbsp butter*
3 tbsp applesauce
"Cream" that together until well blended. Add 1/2 cup egg substitute* and blend for 1 minute. Add dry ingredients and blend just until mixed. Stir in 1/2 cup reduced fat mini chocolate chips *. Pour into sprayed loaf pan* and bake 50 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.

NOW FOR MY VERSION LOL

I use 2 egg whites and enough milk, water, soy milk, yogurt, or juice to make 1/2 cup instead of egg substitute. I use diet margarine instead of butter, and 1 tsp really good cinnamon instead of the 2 tsp ground allspice. And I have NEVER put in the chocolate chips LOL. Also, I bake it in a round cake layer pan or a square pyrex dish rather than a loaf pan. I still cut it like a quickbread, but I don't like the dense texture of quickbreads when baked in a loaf. To make variations:

-1 medium zucchini, grated, plus an extra spoon of applesauce instead of the banana to make zucchini bread

-3 small apples peeled and grated or chopped instead of the banana to make apple bread. Or use 1 cup plus the 3 tbsp applesauce. I sometimes use a mix of cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in this one.

-1 cup blueberries and 1 small apple, peeled and grated instead of the banana. I also add up to a tsp of grated lemon peel to this one.

-1 cup of chopped raw cranberries (not one cup whole then chopped up, but a cups worth of the chopped ones), the sections of an orange roughly chopped (cut the peel and pith away, use a knife to liberate each segment without getting any membrane, and remove seeds), 1 tsp grated orange peel instead of the banana. Use 2 egg whites and enough orange juice concentrate to make 1/2 cup.

If you make it according to her recipe, it is 17% calories from fat.

Bookmark   November 20, 2001 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Thawing frozen flour
I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn...
levander404
Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese?
Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows if you can successfully...
lmsorkin
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
Freezer Cooking for 2
My parents are caring for my terminally ill uncle....
gen76eva
Sunbeam Cooker Crocker Fryer
I'll be darned, but I can't find the question on the...
HerbaTherapy
Sponsored Products
Large Wreathed Reindeer Statue
$39.99 | zulily
Glitterazzi International Poland Santa Ornament
$64.95 | FRONTGATE
Classic Pre-lit Door Christmas Swag Christmas Decor
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Rope Garland with Starfish & Shells
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
One Minute To Go Hour Glass
| Dot & Bo