Success #1!!!!!!! Yayyyyy!

yellowhairNovember 4, 2003

Hey, you guys rock!!! I read some of your posts and went to my fridge yesterday and took out some leftover bread and biscuits--------made French toast, croutons, and breakfast biscuits with ham and eggs. Hubby ate them yesterday and reached into the freezer this morning for more---liked them!!! Last night I made extra rice, froze some of it.

Honestly, I used to get sick going grocery shopping----what am I going to cook, let's see, we had chicken day before yesterday and......--------Now, I don't have to do this!!!

I'm making a list, saving my plastic containers, and I'm gonna do the once-a-month prep. And my kitchen is already cleaner, I'm thinking of every inch of space I'm gonna use, and I'm involving DH by getting his favorite meals and HIS PART in the prep I'm gonna do. He likes cooking, sometimes.

I have a question-----how long can you keep dry engredients---flour, sugar, etc.? I want to buy the larger bulk sizes and do some pre-mixes. Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetwilson

One thing I've found that makes organizing my freezer much easier is to buy a set of those ziploc or glade plastic reusable containers at Sam's or Costco and use them for casseroles, lasagna and spaghetti sauce. The containers stack up nicely and they are see-through so you don't have to wonder what's inside. They also microwave really well if you need to defrost quickly.

Bookmark   December 9, 2003 at 4:51PM
alison

The Big Bear stores in my area are going out of business, so I've been picking up a lot of stuff this weekend. Did a lot of cooking, too. A batch of chili, a batch of chicken and cheese enchiladas, some foil packets with seasoned chicken breasts, and some steaks, seasoned, wrapped and packed with appropriate side dishes.

Now I have no room in my freezer!

Bookmark   December 15, 2003 at 4:09PM
BigMama

also if you are storing casseroles and don't want to buy a casserole dish for every one, just put foil or saran into your dish and then as soon as the casserole is frozen, take it out....wrap it good and stick it back into the freezer....when you are ready to cook it, it will fit perfectly back in your bowl/dish/pan and the best part, the dish comes out clean....no casserole crust to deal with when washing.

Bookmark   February 7, 2004 at 8:53AM
seamstress

If you don't have one - get a crock pot. The largest you can afford. Not only does it make meal prep simple, but it works great to make up big batches for freezing.

I am single, but I bought a 6-qt anyway, just to give you an idea. I can make all sorts of soup (or whatever) with very little effort. Then freeze it in glad or ziploc plastic containers in meal-sized portions.

When I cook this way, I eat much better, and much cheaper, too. Keeps me away from fast food & high-sodium frozen meals.

Bookmark   February 16, 2004 at 4:21PM
Terrapots

Sugar will keep indefinitely. Flours I keep in the freezer in air tight container and take out enough for my cannister. It will keep at least a year in the freezer. I think I've kept some unopened bags of flour in the cupboard for six months or longer with no bad taste and no one has died on me. Brown sugar will get hard if kept too long but I soften it in the microwave for a few seconds and it softens up real nice.

Bookmark   February 26, 2004 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
Rachael Ray week in a day-Hungarian shepherds pie
I think I got my answer from looking at the posts above,...
norwega
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
crock pot,is that what this is?
I pulled it out, got it as a wedding gift, used it...
KayCee
Sponsored Products
Haeger Potteries Lolly Yellow Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Kyra Mirror
$309.90 | Horchow
Virtu MS-2036-WMSQ-WH Caroline Bath Vanity in White with Carrara Marble
$949.00 | Blue Bath
Carol Table Clock by David Scherer
$146.95 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Surya Rugs Julie Cohn Pale Blue 2 ft. x 3 ft.
Home Depot
DENY Designs Bianca Green Stay 1 Outdoor Throw Pillow - 14420-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Oak Harbor Pendant by Maxim Lighting
$120.00 | Lumens
Del Mar 42" Round Outdoor Ottoman, Patio Furniture
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™