Freezing/reheating pasta?

alisonNovember 15, 2004

I've been accumulating the little trays from Lean Cuisine meals and the like, then cooking big batches of food and filling, sealing, and freezing the little trays. Very economical way to get a variety of quick lunches for work!

I've noticed a lot of the ready made meals have pasta -- does anyone have any advice on duplicating this at home?

Do you cook the pasta thoroughly or only part way? Do you mix the sauce in with the pasta or is it better to keep them on separate sides of the container? Do things like large pieces of mushrooms do well, or do they get gummy when you reheat them?

Appreciate any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG__TX

Most that I have eaten were kept seperate but frankly I just mix it up and freeze it...Believe it or not for years I never saved left over spagetti thinking my dear husband would turn his nose up and them one day I had a huge amount and saved it ...Served it a couple of days later and he raved about my pasta so now I always make enough for two meals...
My official answer is that it should be cooked just slighly under done....and frozen seperate from the sauce...

I do neither...just heat it up and reserve it...

Bookmark   November 16, 2004 at 11:30PM
Purple_Jade

I was talking to my aunt the other day, and she happened to mention she freezes pasta without the sauce, in a freezer bag, then boils the bag and all in boiling water to cook.
I haven't tried it, she says it's great.

Bookmark   December 22, 2004 at 6:19PM
caseyb

When saving and reheating pasta, I always refrigerate seperately, and then reheat by running it under hot water until warm. You'd hardly know that it wasn't freshly boiled. You might not ever guess!

Bookmark   January 19, 2005 at 12:38PM
msazadi

I did this when we were renovating. I cooked pasta before 'losing' the kitchen and on occasion over at a friend's during the reno. I froze the cooked plain pasta in quart bags and then micro'd it for use during the loooong 14 months of renovation.

I still freeze leftover pasta - plain mostly - and use it for a quick meal for one for dh who works from home. Maureen

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Favorite family recipe?
OK lets have your family's favorite recipe.
RuthieG in MA
Crock pot vs. electric roaster
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between...
Gema
Powder Buttermilk in Bread Maker recipe
I have a lot of recipes for my bread maker....some...
baby_2u
Living in a shed
HaHa..I'm not joking...we have moved back to TX from...
RuthieG__TX
Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese?
Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows if you can successfully...
lmsorkin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™