What to do with 10 pounds of chicken?

PatOctober 13, 2001

We got a great deal on boneless/skinless chicken breasts yesterday ($1.59/lb) and bought 10 pounds worth. I cut some up into strips and froze in packets for stir-fry meals. I was also going to make up some marinades tonight and freeze some in marinade.

Other ideas would be greatly appreciated, I still have a lot left!

Thanks - Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mbaylus_earthlink_net

If you have a grinder, you could grind some up for chicken burgers as a variation to whole grilled chicken breast burgers.

You could also poach some, then shred and freeze for quick meals (salads, tacos etc).

Bookmark   October 14, 2001 at 12:47PM
Michelle_MO

Also just freeze whole (in meal-sized amounts) to take out for baked, grilled, or skillet-browned chicken dinners.

If you want to invest a little time, pound some of them out to about 1/4 inch thickness. These can be used for chicken cordon bleu (you could even put in the slice of ham and swiss and roll up before freezing) or chicken parmesan later. I have tried breading and browning first then freezing (for the chicken parmesan) but the breading comes out soggier than I'd like when reheated.

Bookmark   October 15, 2001 at 11:02AM
jamie_mt

Cube some for Chicken chili and freeze it (the chili) for easy hot meals on cold days, and make homemade chicken/noodle soup...

Bookmark   October 15, 2001 at 1:48PM
jamie_mt

Oooo...and you could make chicken pot pie to freeze too...

Bookmark   October 15, 2001 at 6:22PM
Pfarrell_adelphia_net

Thanks everybody for the great ideas!!!!

Well, I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup and froze it in meal-size portions. I was very excited when I calculated that the soup averaged about $1 per serving. I also froze some whole in different marinades for easy grilling and broiling. Finally, I made a crockpot full of chicken cacciatore. We had some for dinner the night I made it and froze the rest in meal-size portions for easy heat and serve meals later.

I really like all of the ideas. I can't wait till chicken goes on sale again to try them. I have to try the chicken cordon bleu idea!!! I'm hoping to get a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a meat grinder attachment from Santa and will definately have to try grinding my own lean chicken or turkey breast meat!

Thanks again!

Bookmark   October 15, 2001 at 7:50PM
ppmtpaty_yahoo_com

You could also dice some of the chicken for chicken salad sandwiches and chicken fried rice!

Bookmark   October 16, 2001 at 2:14PM
mrsmcmud_mimi_cyber-kitchen_com

This is a really good chicken recipe. It is easy to make. I made it and divided it into 3 pans and froze 2. I have not tried the frozen ones yet, so I can not give a report on how it works after freezing.
The recipe is from the Recipe Hall of Fame cookbook.

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
4 chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon margarine
1 (4oz) can chopped green chilies
2 (4oz) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
1 ¼ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 cup sour cream
12 flour tortillas
¼ cup flour
¼ cup melted butter
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 ½ cups sour cream
Chili powder to taste
1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cook in water to cover in saucepan until tender. Drain, reserving 1 ½ cups broth. Cool and chop chicken Sauté onion in margarine in skillet. Add chicken, green chilies, mushrooms, Cheddar cheese, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon chili powder and 1 cup of sour cream; mix well. Microwave tortillas on high for 1 minute or until softened. Spoon the chicken mixture onto tortillas. Roll to enclose filling. Place seam-side-down in greased 9x13 inch pan.
Blend flour into butter in saucepan. Stir in reserved broth. Cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese, 1-½ cups of sour cream, and additional chili powder to taste. Pour over enchiladas. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining 1 ½ cups of Monterey Jack cheese. Bake just until cheese melts.
Yields 6 servings.

Bookmark   October 18, 2001 at 12:10PM
Marakone_Webtv_net

There is a craze running through restaurants in our area called chicken fried chicken, done like chicken fried steak. You pound the chicken into thin fillets about 1/2 inch thick and coat in a chicken fried steak flour/seasoning mixture (adjusting the beef seasoning for chicken seasonings) and fry it like you would chicken fried steak. Make the country gravy to top it and VOILA! I wish I had your 10 pounds of chicken right now. Yesterday at our .99 Cent Store I purchased 5 Kraft's Freshmade Creations Dinner Kits that make 6 servings each. I got 3 cheese chicken enchiladas, cheesy chicken and rice with broccoli, chicken parmesan with linguine, mexican style tortilla dinner bake and southwestern style chicken . . . all for just $4.95.

Bookmark   November 1, 2001 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
nesco roaster
Does anyone have a Nesco Roaster? We've been thinking...
Rae
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
Thawing frozen flour
I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn...
levander404
Pre-making big batches of my own cornbread mix
I make cornbread a lot and haven't found any pre-done...
levander404
Freezer Cooking for 2
My parents are caring for my terminally ill uncle....
gen76eva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™