vacuum seal foods with liquids

rjamesdOctober 8, 2007

I want to vacuum seal prepared foods that have some liquid sauce with them or meat with natural gravy, but the vacuum system pulls the liquid into the machine. Does anyone know of a way to succesfully seal moist foods? I've heard about freezing the food first and then sealing or the instructions say to put a paper towel in the bag as a barrier between the food and the sealer, but the liquid then soaks the paper towel. Does anyone have any other technique that works to accomplish sealing foods with sauce or liquids?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindakimy

We usually put juicy things in a zip lock bag and close all but a tiny bit of the zipper. Then we put the zippy in the sealing bag with the zipper opposite the end to be sealed. The machine pulls the air out of the inner bag and seals before the juices escape and get to the machine.

This works with things like very juicy cuts of meat or berries that would release juice with pressure but I doubt it would work on something very wet like stew or sauce. Sometimes we freeze food before sealing it so that it will not be squashed by the sealer. That might work best for your gravies and such. Is there some reason you don't want to do that? Otherwise, I think the manufacturer recommends that you use those ridiculously expensive canisters they sell.

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjamesd

Thank you for the information. I will try the inner bag sealing process or the pre-freezing.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
No Peek Stew
I saw this a while back and forgot to copy it. Can...
rosieclown
Freezer Cooking for 2
My parents are caring for my terminally ill uncle....
gen76eva
Rachael Ray week in a day-Hungarian shepherds pie
I think I got my answer from looking at the posts above,...
norwega
chopped salad timesaver
My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method...
dahlia6
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™