Meal Planning

MarionROctober 14, 2001

I used to plan my menus for a month at a time and then go grocery shopping to purchase what I needed whether it was on sale or not. After all these years, I realized that I should go shopping for a few weeks for the meats (beef, pork, etc.) and poultry that are on sale and stock up for a month or two. Then, I would do my meal planning around these meats. Is this what you all do as far as preparing a menu plan and I'm just slow to catch on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bugs

I buy any reduced meats I can when the grocery store opens and stock up the freezer and meals are planned according to what I buy. My mom managed a major US meat plant and tought me to get the reduced stuff and eat or freeze it that day. I was told by my local store that anything not sold is ground for the next day anyways and sold as ground beef, pork etc..

Bookmark   October 15, 2001 at 10:06AM
MarionR

I used to do buy reduced meats when I lived in Oregon but here in Minnesota (St. Paul), no supermarkets offer reduced meats. I asked one about it and they said they discontinued that a while back.

Bookmark   October 15, 2001 at 12:06PM
jamie_mt

Well, I only shop once per month, preferably the day or two after I get paid. And I like a variety, so I generally buy ground beef (at the grocery store that it's cheapest at), chicken (at costco) and Ham (still working on cost for that one). Other than that, I pick one new recipe to try per week (four each month), and if one of those requires a different type of meat or ingredients I generally don't buy, I stick them on my grocery list. But those four recipes are the only ones I "plan" a month ahead - for my weekly meals, I plan them weekly around whatever I have on hand. So I guess I use a combination of plans! LOL

Bookmark   October 15, 2001 at 1:46PM
Mommyof4

My husband is a meat cutter at a major grocery store and he says they don't grind old meat anymore. They don't even grind their own grinds unless you ask them to. They reduce cuts and then if it doesn't sell, they throw it out. All of their grinds are shipped to them in tubes. Yuck!!! Who knows what's in those. We always buy cuts when on sale and then he grinds it for us. Bug the butcher...that's what he's there for.

Bookmark   October 7, 2002 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
Sunbeam Cooker Crocker Fryer
I'll be darned, but I can't find the question on the...
HerbaTherapy
Powder Buttermilk in Bread Maker recipe
I have a lot of recipes for my bread maker....some...
baby_2u
Thawing frozen flour
I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn...
levander404
Freezer Cooking for 2
My parents are caring for my terminally ill uncle....
gen76eva
crock pot,is that what this is?
I pulled it out, got it as a wedding gift, used it...
KayCee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™