Freezing bread dough?

dances_in_gardenOctober 23, 2001

We have a breadmaker. I use it often, but I mostly mix the dough in it then shape my own loaves (if I use it to "bake" the bread the crust comes out too hard for sandwiches, even on the lightest setting. Fine for spaghetti night or whatever, just not sandwiches).

Has anyone tried to freeze their own unbaked bread dough? I buy a lot of sub buns and kaisers in a week but it is hard to keep them fresh. I was thinking if I made bread dough then froze it as "buns" I could bake as many as I need to the night before so they are always fresh in DH's lunch.

When do you freeze it (at what stage), how do you defrost it, and what about rising?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bjclifton_yahoo_com

I have frozen dough on occasion. I just followed the hints in my breadmachine book and it worked out great. I would post them but I havn't been able to find that darn book - hmm.. time to head to the organizing forum. Good Luck!

Bookmark   October 23, 2001 at 12:42PM
sandalha73_hotmail_com

I was wondering that too, so I looked it up the Internet and found this simple information:

Yeast Breads:

Dough may be made, shaped, placed in pans and frozen; or baked before freezing.

Cover uncooked bread tightly and freeze BEFORE product has raised. For baked bread, cool, then cover pan tightly or place product in foil.

Bookmark   November 14, 2001 at 6:56PM
ann_t

I have not frozen unbaked bread but I make Italian bread two or three times a week and it freezes wonderfully after it is baked. When the bread is cold, I wrap it in a couple of layers of papertoweling and then into tight freezer bags. The paper towels work in absorbing any moisture, especially when defrosting, and stops the bread from becoming soggy. Just like fresh.

Bookmark   November 18, 2001 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Pre-making big batches of my own cornbread mix
I make cornbread a lot and haven't found any pre-done...
levander404
Freezer Cooking for 2
My parents are caring for my terminally ill uncle....
gen76eva
chopped salad timesaver
My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method...
dahlia6
Make-ahead pancakes??????
There have long been frozen, microwavable pancakes...
bizzybee
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™