Freezing lunchmeat worked well

dances_in_gardenOctober 23, 2001

I buy a sub mix for DH's lunch. He only likes it once a week, but the package has enough for two days and it doesn't keep a whole week!

I decided to freeze half of the package (it has salami, pepperoni, and ham). I wrapped it well in waxed paper then in a baggie. Defrosted overnight in the fridge, and it seems to look and feel exactly like it does fresh from the package when I buy it. I am going to try it again with some smoked turkey. I buy it when it is on sale, but we don't eat it fast enough to "stock up".

Anyone else tried freezing lunchmeat and had good (or bad) experiences?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HRider

I buy double packs of bologna when it goes on sale for my daughter's lunches and toss them in the freezer. It comes out perfectly fine all the time.

Heather

Bookmark   October 23, 2001 at 6:07PM
polkadot95_hotmail_com

I make lunchmeat & cheese sandwiches and freeze them. They come out perfectly fine.

Bookmark   October 23, 2001 at 9:05PM
polkadot95_hotmail_com

I also buy lunchmeat in the bulk pack at Sam's. I keep one pack in the fridge and everything else goes in the freezer. SLICED cheese (processed, not block) freezes well, too. Again, I buy the large pack at Sam's. I break it down into packs about the size of a regular pack of cheese and freeze the rest.

Bookmark   October 24, 2001 at 12:18AM
Bugs

I buy corned beef, roast beef, salami and ham often and freeze it in plastic bags, thaw in fridge. Perfect always. I also have a deli slicer so I can buy black forest hams and slice them thin to freeze. Had bad luck freezing gouda cheese slices though, too mushy when thawed.

Bookmark   October 24, 2001 at 9:33AM
polkadot95_hotmail_com

Block cheeses do not slice well after they have been frozen. However, they shred very well.

Bookmark   October 24, 2001 at 9:51PM
dustbunni

I'm not much for packaged lunch meat but my husband loves the stuff. I've frozen bologna, salami, boiled ham, turkey roll, olive loaf etc. I also freeze home baked meatloaf sliced thin. I lay the meatloaf slices out on a tray and pack them two to a baggie then bread bag the whole thing.

Bookmark   October 26, 2001 at 9:34PM
Michelle_MO

Are you only freezing the pre-packaged stuff, or are you freezing the fresh-sliced deli stuff? I prefer the meat from the deli counter (cheaper by the lb/oz and I prefer the taste) but I hate that it goes bad sometimes before I've used it up.

Bookmark   October 30, 2001 at 11:03AM
Bugs

I have frozen fresh and pre-packaged. I usually get fresh too but sometimes buy the big vaccumm packed bags at Costco and they froze really well too.

Bookmark   October 30, 2001 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
No Peek Stew
I saw this a while back and forgot to copy it. Can...
rosieclown
In need of Dishes to Freeze
Any suggestions on premade meals that freeze well....
dreamjewl
chopped salad timesaver
My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method...
dahlia6
Bread Maker Recipes?
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, and think it's really...
Mary
Living in a shed
HaHa..I'm not joking...we have moved back to TX from...
RuthieG__TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™