Another squeaky subfloor

joel_bcFebruary 19, 2014

The main floor of our old (1975) house has 5/8" plywood subflooring, over joists at 16-inch centers. In the kitchen & adjoining dining room, this was covered with vinyl flooring. About six years ago, we wanted to change the flooring, and since the subfloor beneath the vinyl had always squeaked quite a lot, I asked the local building supply from which we were buying the new linoleum what to do to prepare.

They recommended putting extra screws in through the subflooring and into all the joists - at the rate of a screw every six inches. I did that. We followed this by applying half-inch MDF above, and then the lino went down onto that. Absolutely no squeaks.

We're likely to change the wall-to-wall carpeting in our living room this year, and so I wonder about the process for getting the squeaks out there too. I could simply follow the former advice (a screw every half foot), but it's a tedious job and I've wondered if it is actually overkill?

Opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

The process has been made much easier, as time goes by, by specially adapted screw guns, which operate at or from a standing position.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:39AM
joel_bc

snoonby you wrote: "The process has been made much easier, as time goes by, by specially adapted screw guns, which operate at or from a standing position."

Okay. Well, I don't own one of those, and my tool would require being on my knees. Not sure if my nearest tool rental has one, either, plus the rental agency is an hour's drive away (hence 2 hours of driving).

Anyhow, what I asked is whether the rcommendation would be a screw every six inches into the joists (or is this overkill?)

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 5:50PM
insteng

I would think it is overkill. You should be able to get away with a screw every 18 - 24 inches I would think.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 6:06PM
snoonyb

"Anyhow, what I asked is whether the rcommendation would be a screw every six inches into the joists (or is this overkill?)"

My answer did not offer an exception or elimination of screws, ergo, acceptance as well as a less," tedious job", solution.

I guess you could order the screws delivered, so you would not have to leave the house, to save your knees and back

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™