I made my own 'pre-mixes'

bonnieSeptember 3, 2001

Ok - so I have been thinking about how much I would like to use my breadmaker and how come I don't use it as often - cam e up with it is such a hassle in my kitchen and getting stuff out of my pantry - flour is in a big container on the floor in the back - sm apartment - small "pantry" read extra closet - so.........

I got some large freezer bags. Labeled them and filled them with the bread ingredients - flour, salt, sugar, dried milk, then I wrote what to add at baking time. Also made some up for pizza dough and cornbread. I also filled a few bags with 3 cups of flour and 4 cups of flour. All are in a large plastic container in my pantry.

Just dump and use and I can reuse the bages.

THEN - I thought about winter and how I like to make soups. I thought of what is the hardest part - all the chopping to get ready for the crock pot - so I made my own soup starters for freezer. In each is a chopped onion, celery and garlic. Basic for whatever kind of soup I may make.

All in all took me 35 minutes and I have 8 loaves of bread and the start to 4 pots of soup.

Anyone else do something similar??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamabirdx5_netzero_net

Ohh, I love the idea of prechopping for the crockpot and freezing it in the freezer!! THANKS, Bonnie!

Bookmark   September 5, 2001 at 7:50AM
mamabirdx5_netzero_net

Do you think you can do it with carrots and potatoes too? Hmm, perhaps not the potatoes, would they discolor? Anyone have any experience with freezing these?

Bookmark   September 5, 2001 at 7:52AM
polkadot95_hotmail_com

Blanch the potatoes

Bookmark   September 5, 2001 at 7:52PM
mamabirdx5_netzero_net

:) Thanks polkadot! I just love ya'll. I've learned so much here at this site!

Bookmark   September 8, 2001 at 7:06AM
dixon_cox-internet_com

My family really liked this Chicken Crumb Coating. I made it for my son who is living in his first apartment.

2 c. crushed cornflakes
1 c. Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp. ground oregano

Mix all ingredients together. Pour some of the crumb coating mix into a bowl. Pour a little milk into another bowl. Dip chicken pieces into the milk. Roll chicken in coating mix. Place in a greased baking pan. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until juices run clear.

Refrigerate Crumb Coating Mix.

Bookmark   September 10, 2001 at 10:59PM
Pfarrell_adelphia_net

I like the idea of doing all the prep, cutting and measuring (not to mention making the mess) in one shot to make meal prep easier. I would like to try chopping all the veggies for soup and stews ahead of time. This time of year is great to get veggies cheaply at the Farmer's Market too. I was wondering if you need to blanch the vegetables before you freeze them? The vegetables I would probably use are: onions, celery, carrots, peppers?, and possibly green beans. If blanching is needed, should they be blanched before or after the chopping or doesn't that matter?

Thanks for the advice and good ideas!!
Pat

Bookmark   September 18, 2001 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Living in a shed
HaHa..I'm not joking...we have moved back to TX from...
ruthieg__tx
Patty pan squash lasagne - how to freeze?
I want to make a simple lasagne using patty pan squash...
jennholly
TV dinner freezer containers
Does anyone know of or have a source for plastic tv...
Mistyme
Thawing frozen flour
I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn...
levander404
chopped salad timesaver
My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method...
dahlia6
Sponsored Products
Stowe Leather Ottoman - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Gray Textured Silk 10 1/4" Wide Ceiling Pendant
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Sideline Collection Open Corner Soap Basket
Signature Hardware
Bobino Pendant by Terzani
$442.00 | Lumens
Red Pakkawood Forged Knife Set
$104.99 | zulily