freezing baked potatoes?

kitchenladySeptember 29, 2001

Any ideas on what results I'd get freezing baked potatoes? I know I'll only like them if there's some way of recrisping the skins. Otherwise, I guess it's time for baked potato soup!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rainbarrel55_yahoo_com

Reheat in oven without cover. This should crisp the skins while warming.

My experience has been a "mealy mushy" inside of potatoes frozen. Guess I am just a fresh baked potato person.

They will make great potato soup.

Marie

Bookmark   September 29, 2001 at 7:30PM
dustbunni

My experience here has been the same as Marie's. You can freeze twice baked potato with good results. That's where you cut the potato in half, scoop out the filling, add stuff like onion, cheese, a little milk, ham bits (whatever you want) and put it back in the skin. Wrap in foil, freeze on a tray and then bag them. I've done this once. I thought it was a lot of work for baked potato, since if I'm really in a hurry there's the microwave.

I've had success freezing mashed potatoes and do this all the time. I also freeze a gravy base (not pre-made gravy)that's meat juices seasoned and water added to it. I also make stuffed bell peppers with mashed potato, onion and cheese. These freeze well and are a favorite. These can be reheated in the microwave or the oven.

Bookmark   September 30, 2001 at 11:31AM
char_mi

You probably don't know it but the baked potato you get at a lot of restaurants are purchased frozen. They come from the supplier prebaked and frozen, about a dozen to a plastic bag depending on the size. They are heated in a microwave and then wrapped in foil to hold the heat until your dinner is served. Most people can't even tell the difference.

Char

Bookmark   October 4, 2001 at 11:59AM
bugs_niagara_com

If they dont turn out good I think they would still be great for baked potato soup.

Bookmark   October 4, 2001 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
For those of you with food savers
Do you reuse the bags? If so, is there an easy way...
seasyde
Crock pot vs. electric roaster
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between...
Gema
TV dinner freezer containers
Does anyone know of or have a source for plastic tv...
Mistyme
Make-ahead pancakes??????
There have long been frozen, microwavable pancakes...
bizzybee
Powder Buttermilk in Bread Maker recipe
I have a lot of recipes for my bread maker....some...
baby_2u
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™