rusty sink overflow and drain--salvageable?

Fori is not pleasedFebruary 20, 2014

Hi all.

I have a tiled-in bathroom sink with a little rust around the drain and overflow opening.

It's getting to the point where we would like to do some minor modifications to the bathroom (add a ventilation fan and replace the window with a door) that will require some expense and effort to maintain the current tile scheme. I would like to KEEP the existing sink/tile/toilet/tub but I want to know if the sink is shot before I do.

You know how it is...if sink goes, the counter has to go (and then the floor and tub surround). And if the sink goes, the matching toilet and tub...ahhh it snowballs.

It's not all that special and it's from the 1950s and not the slightest bit historic. It's even sort of ugly.

But anyway, how can I know if my sink is OK, or at least assure myself it'll hold up in the future? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Circus Peanut

Photos? Is it porcelain enamel?

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 1:20PM
Fori is not pleased

Hi, Peanut!

It's um...whatever was used on '50s cast iron sinks. I guess enamel?

Here's the overflow. I think the white stuff is Comet. Kids are terrible at cleaning...

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 3:49PM
concretenprimroses

My husband epoxied our 2 bathtubs and one old bathroom sink. Because he did it himself there are some brushmarks, But I would think if your sink is white, you might be able to just touch up those trouble areas. The key is preparation.

A friend of mine who had a "professional" with a sprayer do it had a disaster. the woman didn't do any prep and the sink started to peel within weeks. While it lasted there were no brushmarks tho.

Good luck,
Kathy

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 2:49PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks, Kathy. It's actually pinkish. Not the cool pink, either. But it seems like most of the rusting is inside where it won't show--as long as it slows the rusting it's worth checking out.

It looks like I'll have to get in there and remove the drain and see just how far it's gone.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™