Gnocchi.... what to do with it??!!

starlightfarmAugust 20, 2011

I purchased two packs of mini-gnocchis from my grocery store yesterday. Now... I have no idea what to do with them....I've never eaten them, but have always wanted to try them. (I know homemade is better.. but these were on sale and I wanted to try them before I went to the effort to make them myself).

What type of sauce do you put on them? I did a search on allrecipes.com and didn't come up with much.... other than using pesto sauce.

What's your favorite way to use gnocchi??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Just butter and fresh grated Parmesan is wonderful....but any sauce will be fine....as long as it's as auce you like.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 11:37PM
hawk307

We always ate them with Spaghetti Sauce and
sprinkled Parmesan.

They were nicknamed " Sinkers "

Lou

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 1:49AM
chase_gw

I like any type of cream sauce like an Alfredo or a light meatless tomato sauce like marinara, herbs and tomato or vodka sauce.

Also like sage butter sauce or butter with a selection of herbs like basil, parsley, rosemary ...whatever you like together.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 7:37AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I like them cooked then browned well in butter. I add sage while browning and Parmesan cheese when ready to eat.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 8:28AM
dcarch7

This was on PBS TV yesterday:

Chef John Besh's Gnocchi, Crab, and Truffle

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: fancy gnocchi

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 9:20AM
glenda_al

This is a family favorite here.

Sandra Lee's Gnocchi gargonzola chicken **This is my changed rendition
1 pound potato gnocchi
1 pkg Knorr's three cheese sauce mix OR make your own
2 cups milk
3 garlic cloves jarred crushed not minced
6 ounces Gorgonzola crumbles
1 store-bought roasted chicken (approximately 2 pounds), shredded OR cook your own
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

To a large pot of boiling salted water, add gnocchi and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they float to the surface. Drain and return to pot; cover to keep warm.
In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, whisk together white sauce mix and milk. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat to simmer and add minced garlic and Gorgonzola crumbles. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes as sauce thickens; remove from heat.

Add shredded chicken to gnocchi. Pour sauce over warm gnocchi and chicken, and toss to combine. Serve warm and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 12:11PM
beachlily z9a

OMG, when I was served home-made gnocchis at our friends' Italian restaurant, I was amazed at how good they tasted. I've had them years ago and swore never again. I might try the store-bought ones. Really good with an easy Alfredo sauce.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 12:20PM
coconut_nj

I generally eat them with a nice marinara heavy on the basil and garlic, or even a bolognese. I also love them in an alfredo but I often make them with just butter, sour cream and some romano. I love gnocchi. I even make them from left over mashed potatoes.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 4:43PM
nancylouise_gw

I like them either in an olive oil, butter and sage sauce sprinkled with a little pepper or in a homemade spaghetti sauce. I don't really care for cream sauces of any type. NancyLouise

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 1:00PM
annie1992

I like them in this recipe from Eating Well:

Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans

In this one-skillet supper, we toss dark leafy greens, diced tomatoes and white beans with gnocchi and top it all with gooey mozzarella. Serve with a mixed green salad with vinaigrette.

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi, (see Tip)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
6 cups chopped chard leaves, (about 1 small bunch) or spinach
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.

Nutrition Per serving (serves 6)

325 Calories; 7 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 8 mg Cholesterol; 55 g Carbohydrates; 14 g Protein; 6 g Fiber; 616 mg Sodium; 360 mg Potassium

3 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat

Annie

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 1:59PM
donnar57

Serve them with spaghetti sauce of your choice, plus some cheese (Parmesan, monterey jack, Wisconsin brick, or whatever), and maybe some Italian bread and a salad.

YUM!

Donna

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 10:34PM
katefisher

Pesto, some good parmesan and a favorite bread. Perfect.

Kate

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 4:27PM
ergenzinger

Here's a recipe based on a gnocchi dish I had in Rome and then replicated when I got home.
http://ergenzinger.hubpages.com/hub/Potato-Gnocchi-in-a-Gorgonzola-Cream-Sauce

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 7:50PM
ynnej

I've eaten gnocchi in every way possible! As a base for Goulash, with browned butter and parmesan, with all kinds of pestos- you can't go wrong with gnocchi!

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 8:13PM
Islay_Corbel

Just a last word - if you don't like the shop-bought ones, don't let that put you off. Home-made are so much better.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 2:49AM
MichelleDT

Usually with butter, sage and parm but oh my - with crab and truffle sounds heavenly! Thanks Dcarch!

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Hi All! Cookingrvc here. Wow things look different.
Have been spending time on a Facebook group that is...
cookingrvc
Anyone remember Mike Roy?
I do NOT remember Mike Roy--he died when I was about...
Fori is not pleased
That Time Of Year Again :)
Hi everyone, It's been a long weekend (both good and...
moonwolf_gw
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
My new pantry with pictures
OK, it's nearly done. We still need to replace some...
annie1992
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™