List of best prices - chicken, turkey, ham?

kellySeptember 21, 2001

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could share some info on the best prices they regularly find for cuts of meat and poultry. My family has always lived on skinless, boneless chicken, so I don't have any pricepoints in mind for other meats.

I know it will vary by region - but I'm sure it will help me.

For example - is this a good deal?

Whole frying chicken - $.59/lb

I'd really like some ideas on price for whole hams (just plain, not honey) and some whole turkeys and just the turkey breast.

Thanks for your help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marakone_Webtv_net

I am CERTAIN this will vary enormously by region. I am in Los Angeles county where food prices are going through the sky and getting higher every day! I buy most things, especially produce, meats and poultry when they are loss leaders at the local markets and stock up. On Tuesday I purchased 2 sale priced Honeysuckle White turkey breasts for .99/lb. London broil was $1.59/lb. This week fresh chicken breasts (not the boneless,skinless ones) in the value size package are .99/lb. Whole chickens are advertised at .89/lb., but last week they were selling for .67/lb. Boneless sirloin pork roasts are advertised at $2.99/lb. Hams are only on sale around Easter and Christmas. They currently sell for anywhere from 1.69/lb. to 2.29/lb. depending on brand. Ground beef with 20% fat is selling for 1.79/lb. for a value pack size of 3 lbs. or more. Boneless cross rib roast is 1.99/lb. It isn't cheap to eat even when everything is sale priced. I live in the vegetable basket of the U.S. and not the meat and dairy part of the country, which is hard to believe that when you see navel oranges selling for $2.49/lb. and I live on what was once an orange orchard!!!!!

Bookmark   September 22, 2001 at 10:50AM
ruthieg_tx

Here in my area 59 cents per pound would be sale price and good. I live in a small town with four major markets and another one on it's way so they are very competitive. I too try to stick to what is on sale. I bought 2 fresh picnic butts for $1.49 per pound and have them both roasted already. I also bought a large 85% lean ground beef $1.59 per lb, a 6 lb bag of frozen boneless chicken breasts for $6 and some change. I also bought a large package of store brand Italian sausage.

In our saturday paper, we get one of our sale papers and I noticed they have shank portion hams for 89 cents per pound..that is a really good buy here so I am going to buy a couple at least..roasting chicken on sale this week for 79 per pound..gotta get a couple of those too. I need some seafood/fish but haven't seen any good buy yet..will watch the other papers.

Bookmark   September 22, 2001 at 12:49PM
charityoh

I shop Aldis and get that price and ground turkey for 59 cents a pound--Aldis and Save - a - lot

Bookmark   September 25, 2001 at 8:01AM
campanycrew

Hi Kelly,
I think, based on your email addy, we are shopping at the same stores!? I'm in Spencerport, NY...therfore, Tops, Wegmans, Sam's Club etc.
Each week the stores rotate the specials but if you can stand the WalMart in Chili...the prices are the best for meats..or Sam's Club. If Wegmans or Tops run a SPECIAL...stock up (Buy 1 get 1 Free)...
I personally cannot stand the Wegman Sale Flyer I find it ridiculously disorganized!
Good Luck!

Bookmark   October 30, 2002 at 2:47PM
Sandy_k

Super Target advertised Turkeys for .48 cents a pound.

Bookmark   November 18, 2002 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Patty pan squash lasagne - how to freeze?
I want to make a simple lasagne using patty pan squash...
jennholly
crock pot,is that what this is?
I pulled it out, got it as a wedding gift, used it...
KayCee
Sauce Freezing Question
Hi all. This may seem like a silly question, but I'd...
pandanoke
No Peek Stew
I saw this a while back and forgot to copy it. Can...
rosieclown
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™