How to refinish old stairway?

no_clever_nameFebruary 24, 2008

I am beginning a much-needed renovation of the front hall in my 90-year old house. The stairway has the typical wooden banister that goes up the stairs, takes a turn, then continues another 12 feet along the upper halls. I plan to replace the old carpet with a runner. The spindles and the ends of the stairs are currently painted. I'm fine with leaving the spindles painted, but I would really prefer to have the stair treads stained, rather than painted. How does one tackle this? Is it really necessary to deconstruct the banister in order to properly remove the paint around the bases of the spindles? Given the length of the banister, I'm concerned about the cost of that, but suspect if the banister is not removed, then the work/cost of refinishing the stairs goes up. I will appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Hi,
You can probably scrape the paint from around the spindles. Esp. if there is varnish under the paint, which will allow the paint to separate, not having absorbed into the wood. You'll need a 1" and 1 1/2" scraper. They need to be kept sharp with a file. Most people never sharpen their scraper blades, and get frustrated, resorting to all manner of chemical agents, which dissolve the paint and actually allow pigment to enter the wood's pores; not a helpful thing.
But, I digress. After scraping, evaluate the state of the treads. They may need only a good sanding before the varnish.
Casey

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™