Medallion Gold Line White Painted Finish Cabinets

jlnjzFebruary 10, 2014

Can anyone tell me how well (or not) the finish has held up on your painted medallion cabinets? Also have the joints held well? Hate it when the paint cracks at the joints. Thinking of white painted shaker cabinets and the contractor wants me to use his cabinet builder but I'm concerned about cabinets painted in a shop vs cabinets with a "baked on factory finish". I'm looking at Medallion Gold Potters Mill with Divinity paint.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twosit

I am looking at the exact same thing. FWIW..the KD who sells both KraftMaid and Medallion told me he thinks Kraftmaid finish is slightly better than Medallion. I am interested in hearing opinions from people here.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 8:50AM
jakuvall

On a solid wood framed door the joints will show hairline cracks eventually on almost any brand- the ones you mention for sure. Some higher end brands will do it ever so slightly less at double the price. The only way to avoid hairline cracks at the joint is to use a solid MDF door.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 11:18AM
twosit

jakuvall--Can you point me in the direction of a quality cabinet manufacturer who uses MDF for the shaker doors?

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 11:29AM
likewhatyoudo

I have Medallion cabinets purchased at Menards the premium choice line. The Island and hood are Maple in Divinity installed 2 years now. I have not noticed any cracking of the paint and it cleans up easily.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 11:57AM
ardcp

i don't know if this helps but i am looking at a shaker style door from medallion called lancaster in their silverline level. it is the same door as the potters mill in gold level. the silverline is not a solid wood door. the construction difference for the silver vs gold according to my kd is the replacement of plywood for mdf/particle board on sides. you could always upgrade the sides to plywood if that was important.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 12:56PM
jakuvall

twosit- Two that I am certain of are(since I have them):
Elmwood makes a solid MDF shaker
NOTE the back of their door is going to be melamine, only front and edges are painted. But it is a great deal.

Mountaineer (limited range of distribution) offers one that is painted all sides, which leads me to think there are others, they use Conestoga for a lot of doors.

I personally think the cracks are not a big deal, they have been on painted doors for centuries, belong there. But have run into enough customers who disagree ;->

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 2:37PM
jlnjz

All -- this was really a big help!!

ardcp - thanks for the tip on the silverline level

rtwilliams -- your kitchen is gorgeous and I appreciate the input. Didn't realize that Menards carries Medallion....wondering if I should check out the pricing through them. Did you have a good experience? Love the tile on your backsplash, do you mind telling me what it is?

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:30PM
likewhatyoudo

I had a good experience with the Menards employee I dealt with. I would call ahead when I was going to be in to review the cabinet design so I could work with him. You do have to know what is needed and be sure to order the right parts so your project is not held up. He was willing to call the Menards/medallion rep and have them look over our design before we placed the order. Menards is fairly new to our area and the Kitchen staff where not very experienced when we ordered 2 years ago. I am guessing they have gotten better now. We had a issue with one of the cabinets and they ordered a replacement one right away. We had our kitchen cabinets delivered but the basement bar that we just completed we picked up in our truck. We are fairly experienced DIY.

The backsplash is a 6 x 6 honed and filled travertine set on a brick pattern.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
My two tone kitchen reveal sans backsplash
My kitchen is finally finished! Well, except for the...
fishymom
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Prep sink location
After a lot of talking on another thread, I took sena01...
Jennifer Weinman
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Sofia Gold 9' x 12'
Home Depot
Elk Lighting Danica 46018/3L 3 Light Pendant - 46018/3L
$482.00 | Hayneedle
Cover for Lynx 42-inch Built-in Grill Head
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Tamburo 16 Bronze Three-Light Drum Pendant with Titan Glass
$715.50 | Bellacor
Winded White Wallpaper R1171, sample
Walls Republic
Overlea White Plastic Modern Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™