Freezing in Jars

NCWVCarolynAugust 3, 2004

I have bought some of the freezer jars.So i know they ar alright for freezing. Do the regular jars work ok too or will they burst when in the freezer? TIA Carolyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
notenoughroses

I freeze in jars, but they have to be straight jars and not have a 'shoulder' on them. See link for an example. ~ Suzie

Here is a link that might be useful: freezer jars

Bookmark   August 31, 2004 at 12:42PM
PeaBee4

You have to be careful with them while the stuff thaws. Don't try to hurry it by sitting them in hot water or in the microwave...voice of experience speaking...Regular jars are not tempered to go from freezing to hot quickly.

I have also had one crack when I bumped it on the counter. I don't know why....maybe the frozen contents made it more brittle.

PB

Bookmark   September 16, 2004 at 7:57PM
lazy_gardens

Also - leave plenty of space, because liquids develop a bump that can cause air leaks.

I've used peanut-butter jars, as well as the specially made freezer jars. The straight sides are a must.

Thhaw them by setting them in a pan of water - room temp - if you are in a hurry. Ot low-power (10%) on a microwave.

Bookmark   September 17, 2004 at 11:46AM
Millie_36

I use regular canning/freezing widemouth jars (Mason) in pint or quart size. Food keeps better...no freezer burn or off flavors from other foods. Use for excess soups, stews, pureed fruit for jams, corn, broccoli, asparagus, etc.

I have had no problem thawing them in Microwave set on "thaw".

Bookmark   November 7, 2004 at 7:18PM
jamielovescoffee__az

Why do they have to be the ones with straight sides? Will they break otherwise??? I'm asking because I have a bunch with the smaller opening. Darn it.

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 7:13PM
donna_loomis

As liquid freezes, it expands. The wider portion will push up to the narrowing of the jar and will cause it to crack.

Bookmark   January 21, 2005 at 5:38PM
marie26

Do you have to use a vacuum sealer to take air out of the jars before freezing? How do you label them? Can you write on them with a marker and wash the marker off at a later time?

It seems that jars would fit into the freezer more efficiently than plastic containers for soups and stews.

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 11:34AM
grits10

am i the only one who freezes the stuff in the jar and then puts the lid on? If it's too much in the jar it's easy to remove the excess. then put the lid on.

Bookmark   August 6, 2005 at 12:12AM
scryn

I use the normal older mason jars. You just don't want to fill them up all the way. I only fill them up about 2/3 at most so the liquid never reaches the shoulder of the jar when it freezes and expands. I use my vacuum sealer attachment when sealing the jars and so far I am very happy with the results. I don't have any ice crystals when I open the sauces and soups. I like using the jars better than the plastic things too because the sauces stay so much better and the glass doesn't stain or absorb smells and tastes like plastic does.
-renee

Bookmark   December 14, 2005 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
No Peek Stew
I saw this a while back and forgot to copy it. Can...
rosieclown
crock pot,is that what this is?
I pulled it out, got it as a wedding gift, used it...
KayCee
Do I have to refrigerate Kosher Dill Pickles!!?
I purchased from Walmart last night a large jar of...
nita1950
Patty pan squash lasagne - how to freeze?
I want to make a simple lasagne using patty pan squash...
jennholly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™