Would You Refrigerate a Homemade Blueberry Pie?

amck2August 13, 2011

Made a beautiful pie today and we just enjoyed a piece (actually waited the recommended 4 hr. cooling time). Now I'm torn about whether I should cover it loosely and leave it on the counter or refrigerate it.

I know the fridge is death to the integity of flaky crusts, and I usually am fine leaving apple pies covered and on the counter for a day. It's cool & not humid here in the house.

Think I can leave it out through tomorrow after dinner, then refrigerate any leftovers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

It's fruit....no eggs no milk....sugar...no I never refrigerate a fruit pie.
Linda C.....wishing for a piece before bed....

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 11:49PM
lpinkmountain

I have to or my pies usually go moldy before I can get them eaten up. I just went for the last slice of blackberry cobbler yesterday, it was growing mold, :(

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 4:14PM
annie1992

Nope, I don't refrigerate them for a couple of days either. If it's around after day two, it usually goes in the fridge.

Annie

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 5:03PM
dedtired

I am so happy to read this! I have friends who insist that all perishable food must be refrigerated. I always left pies on the counter for a day or even two and no one ever got sick or died. It sure tastes better at room temp. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 5:11PM
publickman

I have two pie keepers, and I have to refrigerate fruit pies after two days, or they will grow mold. It's not about getting sick - it's about the grossness of the mold. I refrigerate apples as soon as I pick them, but this is partly to keep fruit flies at bay. I might have this problem because it is fairly warm in my house in late summer and early fall - sometimes 77-78 degrees, and we mainly just use fans to keep cool. We only have one air conditioner, and it is in the art studio/dining room, although the dining room has openings to the living room and kitchen. If your house is cooler, you may not need to refrigerate as early. This summer has been fairly cool so far, but September is our warmest month.

Lars

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 2:51PM
coconut_nj

Yes, I only refrigerate to prevent mold. Around here that would be around the 3 to 4 day mark. No blueberry pie would live that long though. If I do think I won't eat a fruit pie in the out of fridge time, I'll generally just freeze part of it on that first day. Not optimum, but tastes better after freezing, to my taste, than to have been in the refrigerator.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 2:58PM
rob333

I refrigerate it, but then I set out a piece, to warm up to room temps before eating it. I don't eat it refrigerated.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 3:18PM
lindac

Fruit pie lasting more than 2 days?? Really?????? I have never EVER seen mold on a pie!! LOL!

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 4:09PM
publickman

Linda, no matter how much I like it, I can only eat small amounts of pie at a time, and DB is not much of a pie eater either. However, when apples are in season, I make a bunch of apple pies, and we get tired of them. If I take one to work, it will get inhaled within a matter of seconds, and so that is one way to cut down on inventory. I have found that keeping pies in a pie keeper works well in the refrigerator, and I warm the pie before eating it. I go through ice cream much faster than I do pie, and so if I make ice cream when I make pies, the pies go faster. BTW, I've never seen mold on a cream pie! The apple pies I made last year were the best ever because I used the vodka pie crust recipe I found here. It's almost time for me to make some more. We still have apple juice from last year that we froze in an empty plastic gallon vodka bottle. I'm going to have to start collecting those again - they work well for freezing apple juice. We got four gallons last year when we decided to pick at the end of the season. The juice was really too sweet for me, and that's probably why I still have it.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Pie Keeper from Container Store

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
Cool feature I've just noticed (OT)
Has anyone else noticed that you can click on a picture...
sally2_gw
Key Lime Pie Topping Help?
I had never made a Key Lime Pie or a Graham Cracker...
chas045
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
Sponsored Products
Mamagreen | Oko Lounge Side Table/Ottoman
YLiving.com
Area Rug: Persian Agra Ivory/Black 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Vintage Inspired Globe on Iron Stand
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
Super Soft Daisy Microplush Blanket
Overstock.com
Coral Coast Gardener's Choice White Wash Potting Bench - WSBS03
$174.99 | Hayneedle