Anybody use Timed ~ Automatic ~ Delayed Bake feature?

ericasjAugust 17, 2004

My oven has a "timed bake" feature that I'd like to make use of. The idea is you put food (often frozen) in the oven in the morning, and set the oven to come on later. It then bakes at the temperature you want, for however long you want. Then when you come home, dinner is about ready.

I've googled numerous ways, and asked on a couple of other message boards, but ideas for using it are few and far between. It seems like it would be safe and work well for "once a month" cooking type recipes, since often everything in the casserole is cooked before freezing. (I know not to leave something like raw chicken or fish sitting in an oven all day!) But how do you adjust the temperature and cooking times? Any tips?

BTW, I used it yesterday for some frozen, pre-cooked turkey meatballs. They came out nice and they don't seem to have poisoned us. ;) Made dinnertime much easier.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
becky_ca

I have this same feature on my oven, and I often use it if I'm going to be gone when I would normally put something in the oven. HOWEVER - it is absolutely not safe to put frozen food in there in the AM and set it to cook later in the day. Food should not be left out of the refrigerator or freezer for longer than 2 hours, and that includes the time it took to get it home from the store, the prep time and the time it sits on the table. The goal is to keep the food out of the "danger" zone of 40F-140F which is when bacteria can multiply rapidly.

If I have to be gone for some reason when I would normally start dinner, I'll set the oven to go on and leave the food in there for brief periods of time - 30 minutes or less. Lately we've had soccer practice that runs until 7:30, so I put a casserole or chicken in there a few minutes before 6 when I leave and set the oven to cook from 6:30-7:30 so it's done when we get home.

HTH - it's a nice feature.

Becky
Windsor, CA

Bookmark   August 31, 2004 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Bread Maker Recipes?
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, and think it's really...
Mary
Preparing meals to freeze
Hello I make a lot of meals and freeze them. My daughter...
alexandra_falcon
Make-ahead pancakes??????
There have long been frozen, microwavable pancakes...
bizzybee
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
chopped salad timesaver
My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method...
dahlia6
Sponsored Products
Veneto Luce Victoria Five-Downlight Matte Black Chandelier
$940.00 | Bellacor
Stacy Garcia Chevron Pride Pink Giclee Glow 16"W Pendant
Lamps Plus
HelenBilt | Urchin Pendant
YLighting
Levolor Roller Shades: Designer Textures Light Filtering
Blindsgalore
Roxbury Park Baratto Triple Striped Linen Curtain Panel
Overstock.com