Help! Attaching baseboard to exposed brick

cjurekFebruary 18, 2009

We have exposed a brick wall in our kitchen (big mistake, if I could do it over I would have kept the plaster) that has finally been pointed in a few places where the mortar was missing. The new kitchen floor has also been installed, so now I am ready to install my new baseboard.

We are matching the trim in the rest of the house, so the baseboard is 6" poplar, 1" thick, with a separate cap piece and will be painted.

What is the best way to attach this to the exposed brick wall? The old trim had been nailed to wooden "shims" that had been wedged in between the bricks before the plaster had been applied. I am doubting I could follow the same method and get it to rest relatively flat against the exposed brick. I was thinking of a combination of construction adhesive and tapcon screws, but I was hoping someone here might have a better (or easier) idea!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mightyanvil

I can't be sure because I haven't seen the wall but I would consider only using a "shoe" and nailing it to the floor because baseboards on brick walls can look pretty goofy IMHO. I would look at it and think "what holds the baseboard on the wall...glue?"

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 12:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

The baseboard is not needed. Take a look at the spiffy lofts in the link below with exposed brick walls.

Baseboard is there to protect wall surfaces from incidental damage. Brick doesn't need that protection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exposed brick walls in lofts

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Civil War Markers
We know that the house we purchased was built before...
barbcollins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™