Recommendations on new freezer

MistymeJuly 23, 2002

Our Frigidaire freezer may soon need to be replaced. The replacement has to be an upright. Sub-zero looks inviting but is soooo expensive. What experience have you had and what freezer would you recommend? It has to be reliable, which our Frigidaire is not. Only 3 yrs old and repaired 3 times. We need something trouble-free. Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

I think I have a Kenmore. (It was given to me so I can't remember exactly.) It's probably about 7 years old. Kenmores are made by another major major manufacter, but Sears puts the Kenmore label on them.

The feature I like about the freezer is that it isn't self defrosting. The freezer in my refrigerator is and I hate it. I've lost a lot of food because of the freezing and thawing.

Bookmark   July 24, 2002 at 11:44AM
Mike_Schueller

Having just purchased a chest freezer in the last few months, I would have to recommend a chest freezer. When you open the door they don't spill all their heat, and from what I've seen _none_ of them are self-defrosting. The uprights tend to self defrost, but chests don't. Mine has something called a "flash defrost" where, when you tell it to, it runs hot liquid through the refrigerator coils, and you open a drain in the bottom to let the water out. Of course, you've taken your food out of it first...

I've heard good things about it, in a couple months I'll know for myself. We haven't had to defrost yet.

Bookmark   September 5, 2002 at 8:11PM
wildsharkl

We gave away our appartment sized chest freezer after 32 years. We gave it to a friends mother who lived in the country. That was 7 years ago and she is still using it! Based on our experience we would have to buy another Kenmore....even though we don't know who's making the Kenmore now or then! Maybe their requirements are high...

Bookmark   October 4, 2002 at 10:16PM
ReneeKY

A little late on this, but....
Service technician for Sears told me that Kenmore's actual maker depends on the model. Most of their higher end models (but not all) were Amanas in the past. Unfortunately, Amana was bought by Maytag in the last couple of years and Maytag made many changes. per this person, "Maytag doens't know squat about cooling systems." We considered selling ours when we moved since it was almost as expensive to move it as to buy another. We have an Amana made by Amana. Tech told us "Better hold on to it. It's solid."

Bookmark   October 11, 2002 at 11:39PM
More Discussions
Do I have to refrigerate Kosher Dill Pickles!!?
I purchased from Walmart last night a large jar of...
nita1950
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
Sauce Freezing Question
Hi all. This may seem like a silly question, but I'd...
pandanoke
No Peek Stew
I saw this a while back and forgot to copy it. Can...
rosieclown
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™