freezing bread

thomasb_2008July 28, 2008

Recently, I have been having a problem with store-bought bread having soggy edges after thawing. Until now, I haven't had any problems at all. What can I do? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cynic

Try and leave as little air in the bag as possible. The soggy edges usually comes from moisture build up in the bag. When you take it out of the freezer I open the bag and let it sit a bit and even take the bread out and shake the bag out to dry it out. As the ice crystals thaw, they'll soak into the bread and give you the soggy edges.

Some like to wrap the bread in a paper towel but I don't find it necessary using this procedure.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 5:10PM
haus_proud

I always wrap each bread slice individually with paper towel before defrosting it in the microwave. And I use the highest setting in the MW, and I put the bread at the edges of the carousel so it gets the full strength of the MW. Since all MWs differ, you need to experiment with the amount of time to defrost. The paper towels are not wasted because you can always use them for something else.

But if you remember to do it a couple of hours in advance, it's always best to defrost bread at room temp.

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 10:52PM
elisamcs

I've found that if I defrost the bread in the refrigerator, it doesn't get soggy.

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
chopped salad timesaver
My mother made chopped salads. I have found my method...
dahlia6
Canning
I have been canning salsa and will can spaghetti sauce...
jessaka
nesco roaster
Does anyone have a Nesco Roaster? We've been thinking...
Rae
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
In need of Dishes to Freeze
Any suggestions on premade meals that freeze well....
dreamjewl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™