Preserving Pesto

CookieJuly 8, 2001

In your opinion, what is the best method for preserving pesto? Can it be frozen? Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miriam_mcleod_anyplace_com

Marcella Hazan has a good method for doing this in one of her early books. I can't quite recall what she suggests, but I think that she tells you to freeze just the basil-oil-nuts mixture, then to add the butter and cheese fresh. (I did this for a few seasons and liked it pretty well, but finally decided that I really only wanted pesto in the summer anyhow and quit trying to extend its season.)

Bookmark   July 9, 2001 at 4:21PM
JimiJosGal_aol_com

One easy way to preserve pesto is to freeze it in ice cube trays, then transfer to a Ziplock bag when solid. This way, you can simply take out however many cubes are necessary. HTH =o)

Bookmark   July 11, 2001 at 7:15PM
jknahall_northnet_org

I freeze my basil/oil mix in very thin "sheets" so I can easily chip off as much as I need.

Peel off the leaves, rinsed and mostly dried. Then I process in a food processor with oil( I use canola or safflower oil). Then I put the mix into very heavy zip lock freezer bags, and flatten it. I can then place about 10 in a stack in the freezer.

When I am ready to use it, I remove as much as I need. If I am making pesto, I add the cheese, garlic and nuts at that time.

YUM!! I have 15 basil plants waiting to be harvested now. Can't wait.

karen

Bookmark   July 13, 2001 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Freezer Cooking for 2
My parents are caring for my terminally ill uncle....
gen76eva
Thawing frozen flour
I do some basic baking, like pizza doughs and corn...
levander404
Crock pot vs. electric roaster
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between...
Gema
George Foreman Grill
I received a small one for a birthday present. Has...
nita1950
Living in a shed
HaHa..I'm not joking...we have moved back to TX from...
ruthieg__tx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™