Freezing pizza crust.

PatJune 9, 2001

I just found this site and like the ideas. I have cooked in large batches in the past and found it convenient. Reading everything here is making me seriously think about ways I can cut my daily time in the kitchen.

My question is about pizza crust. I've made a whole wheat pizza crust in my bread machine before that I like because it is healthier than white dough crust. I know I can freeze the dough but when we get home at night and are hungry, the last thing I want to do is roll out pizza dough. I was wondering if it would be possible to cook or partially cook the crust from my dough and freeze the prepared crusts for easy use during the week? Any ideas about how I might do this?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bugs_niagara_com

I make bread machine dough all the time and prepare my pizza on a pan like I always would then freeze it rather than put it in the oven on the pan and cover it with foil or saran wrap. You can always take it off the pan one frozen the cook it back on the pan like you would a frozen pizza, it turns out great I think. Ive never frozen just the base but Im sure you could do it the same was and just thrown the toppings on as the frozen dough is starting to thaw a little.

Bookmark   June 11, 2001 at 9:43AM
Pfarrell_adelphia_net

Thanks for the reply! So, you prepare the whole pizza and freeze it? Sounds like a good idea. Do you partially bake the crust?

Bookmark   June 11, 2001 at 9:39PM
bugs_niagara_com

no I never bake the crust and when I pull pull it out frozen I put it in the oven on 400 not pre-heated and that way the crust starts thawing and cooking slowly without buring. Also I find doing it on a stoneware pan with no grease just flour works well. bth grease and flour your pan before freezing the pizza that way it pops of the pan.

Bookmark   June 12, 2001 at 12:36PM
polkadot95_hotmail_com

I made a couple of big batches of pizza dough, rolled out the crusts, partially baked them (about 8 minutes), and let them cool completely. I then stacked them with waxed paper between them, wrapped the stack in foil, and froze them. They are great!

Bookmark   September 6, 2001 at 11:11PM
charitycreations_hotmail_com

I pre bake my crust for about 5-8 min--about half done--then cook then I stack them and wrap and freeze--we did 40 crust this way for a party once--then the kids did the fixings--worked great

Bookmark   September 14, 2001 at 9:01AM
royalaire_ravenvillages_net

I bake mine on a Stone at 400* for only 6min. , then freeze un assembled. My biggest headache is trying to find a bag large enough to freeze it in. I recall from my restaurant days, the health insp. prohibiting using trash can bags for food storage. He said some are treated with chemicals to repel "pests" in their landfill afterlife! Yuk! He said it could leach into the food, so I have always been wary of using them. Any ideas!?

Bookmark   September 18, 2001 at 11:46PM
dustbunni

I pre-cook the crusts before freezing. I make pizza dough in my bread machine. I get four dinner plate sized pizzas from one batch. I shape the crusts, sprinkle on a little corn meal and put them in a large, lightly oiled, cast iron skillet. I turn them once during the cooking which takes only a couple of minutes on a side. They are just cooked through--and very lightly browned. I cool and freeze. I've kept them for up to two months. When I'm ready to use them, I put on the desired toppings, bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so. Everyone gets exactly the pizza they want.
I also freeze sauce in 8 oz. cup yogurt cups. That's enough to cover two crusts.

Bookmark   September 30, 2001 at 11:14AM
kimscraps

You can buy 2 gallon size zip bags, they are always a generic brand. I find mine at Target, they work great.

Bookmark   October 4, 2001 at 12:42PM
deder

I'd like to have the recipe for whole wheat pizza crust if anyone has it.

Bookmark   November 2, 2001 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Recommendations for an upright freezer?
Hey all, I'm looking to purchasing an upright freezer...
melindy
Do I have to refrigerate Kosher Dill Pickles!!?
I purchased from Walmart last night a large jar of...
nita1950
Pre-making big batches of my own cornbread mix
I make cornbread a lot and haven't found any pre-done...
levander404
In need of Dishes to Freeze
Any suggestions on premade meals that freeze well....
dreamjewl
Powder Buttermilk in Bread Maker recipe
I have a lot of recipes for my bread maker....some...
baby_2u
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™